• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you making for Thanksgiving dessert?

Wendy DeBord

Cranberry Grand Marnier Trifle. It is some good, good stuff.

I was thinking about doing a Chocolate Pecan Pie, with some homemade ice cream.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

Cranberry Grand Marnier Trifle. It is some good, good stuff.

I was thinking about doing a Chocolate Pecan Pie, with some homemade ice cream.

Is that the recipe from epicurious?

Wondering why no ones making the cranberry upside downcake?

We are having Cranberry Upside-Down Cake - I made it last year and it was a big success. In fact, a friend asked me to make one for him to bring to his mother's Thanksgiving Dinner. I use the recipe from Everyday Food Magazine. I am also making a Maple-Nut Tart (combined pecans and walnuts) and my current favorite, Pear Custard Pie.

Ellen

• 2 weeks later...

grapefruit supremes w/pomegranate seeds and campari

apple pie

cardamom buttermilk pie from Nov 2007 Saveur

(this was very good; the sour cream makes it quite rich and the cardamom is an interesting twist on the usual nutmeg. I"ll make this again. I didn't try the all butter pie crust in the recipe and used my part lard/part butter recipe instead.)

What did others end up making? Successes, failures?

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I made mincemeat pie (ok, doctored-up Borden's in a box, but very tasty with a lovely lattice crust,) pumpkin pie (from a recipe I've had loads of success with but this time it got a big bubble in the middle that turned dark brown :angry: ,) and, my piece de resistance, pumpkin cheesecake with a topping made from cream cheese, conf sugar and minced crystallized ginger. Crust of pecans, butter, brown sugar and gingersnaps. Truly deelish, if I do say so myself :wub: !

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

Just gorgeous, everyone! I am sitting here at work, sans breakfast and starving! Utter torture!

Viva & apronstrings - I am stunned by your menus! Viva, how did it all come off and did you take any pictures? apronstrings, your desserts looked fantastic! Was the 7th photo the dutch almond cookies? Would you be willing to part with the recipe?

dystopiandreamgirl - your desserts were just beautiful. I can make a pretty good tasting dessert, but beautiful is just beyond my reach. I especially loved the little mince tarts!

My mom and dad (Ted Fairhead here at eGullet) came up for the holiday and Ted made a gorgeous and delicious Pecan Chocolate Tart:

gallery_34972_3580_556553.jpg

Kim