• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you making for Thanksgiving dessert?

Wendy DeBord

My flan looks a bit homely next to those works of art.

gallery_17399_60_44366.jpg

gallery_17399_60_19163.jpg

I prepared six as my contribution to my neighbor's huge assembly of foods. There were at least 100 people there for dinner. 2 extra large turkeys, 2 hams (huge), 1 barbecued goat, 1 barbecued javelina, 400 tamales (assorted) and every kind of snack, condiment, side dish and dessert - I lost count - one could imagine.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Patrick you are too cool to enlarge those photos, thanks.

Andie, those are beautiful flans, beautiful.

Michael! Wow awesome stuff. I think my favorite is the little blond round one with the tearshaped chocolate circle, nut and cookie on it. Way cool stuff. Umm, unless it's the apricot one--are those apricots there on the fluffy cloud-like covered ones? But then the chocolate tarts are very inviting and the blond marbley stuff is beckoning as well, not to mention the stunning presentation of the cake with all manner of diamonds, curliques, macarons, all encircled with those little pistachio'd (?) mounds of goodness hmmm...it's never fair to play favorites anway :raz:

Patrick you are too cool to enlarge those photos, thanks.

Andie, those are beautiful flans, beautiful.

Michael! Wow awesome stuff. I think my favorite is the little blond round one with the tearshaped chocolate circle, nut and cookie on it. Way cool stuff. Umm, unless it's the apricot one--are those apricots there on the fluffy cloud-like covered ones? But then the chocolate tarts are very inviting and the blond marbley stuff is beckoning as well, not to mention the stunning presentation of the cake with all manner of diamonds, curliques, macarons, all encircled with those little pistachio'd (?) mounds of goodness hmmm...it's never fair to play favorites anway  :raz:

Thanks, you are most kind,

as for what went into to the buffet, that represnts about 24 clock hours of work the pistachio apricot had a breton crust

the chocolate tart was made with a flourless cake and a blackberry ganache.

the blond marble cake was a dulce de leche bavarian with a pumpkin spice cake and a layer of tapicoca. the round tian that you were fond of was a white chocolate mouuse with a coconut dacquoise and pistachio financier, the whole affair was glazed with a vanilla neural glaze and topped with citron macs.

needless to say I really was in a way a little embarassed about this table, it overshadowed savory a bit and I didn't really like to steal anyones thunder, if you know what I mean.

stuff like this is why I stopped entering expo's, my attitude is let the other person win it, give them an honest shot at it.

Michael

Around these parts, we eat dinner at 1:00 PM, then football and naps, a dessert "meal" around 6-7 PM, followed by a movie and turkey sandwiches. This allows for maximum desserts. We had:

Italian Cream Cake with Coconut

Maple Pear Spice Cake

Golden Pumpkin & Apricot Cakes

PH's Concorde Meringue Chocolate Cake

PH's Pave Chocolate Caramel Cakes

Pork Mincemeat Cake with Vanilla Armagnac Sauce

Roasted Pear Trifle with Amaretto

Banana Walnut Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Pear & Cranberry Tart with Almond Cream

Apple & Prune Armagnac Tart

Pecan Fig Tartlets

Shaker Lemon Tartlets

Marion Blackberry Pies

Crostada with Figs & Raspberry Wine Syrup

Honey Pecan Pumpkin Pie

Fluffy Pumpkin Pie

And a big puff-pastry cornucopia filled with:

Cuccidati Fig Cookies

Apricot Butter Cookies

Lemon Poppy Seed Macadamia Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sugar Topped Molasses Spice Cookies

Cherry-Chocolate-Coconut Cookies

Peppermint Bark Cookies

<burp>

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

Around these parts, we eat dinner at 1:00 PM, then football and naps, a dessert "meal" around 6-7 PM, followed by a movie and turkey sandwiches.  This allows for maximum desserts.  We had:

Italian Cream Cake with Coconut

Maple Pear Spice Cake

Golden Pumpkin & Apricot Cakes

PH's Concorde Meringue Chocolate Cake

PH's Pave Chocolate Caramel Cakes

Pork Mincemeat Cake with Vanilla Armagnac Sauce

Roasted Pear Trifle with Amaretto

Banana Walnut Bread Pudding with Rum Sauce

Pear & Cranberry Tart with Almond Cream

Apple & Prune Armagnac Tart

Pecan Fig Tartlets

Shaker Lemon Tartlets

Marion Blackberry Pies

Crostada with Figs & Raspberry Wine Syrup

Honey Pecan Pumpkin Pie

Fluffy Pumpkin Pie

And a big puff-pastry cornucopia filled with:

Cuccidati Fig Cookies

Apricot Butter Cookies

Lemon Poppy Seed Macadamia Cookies

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sugar Topped Molasses Spice Cookies

Cherry-Chocolate-Coconut Cookies

Peppermint Bark Cookies

<burp>

Holy smokes!!!! How many people were contributing?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Someone else made the banana bread pudding, and someone else baked the cookies.

Otherwise, I've been in a baking frenzy for the last 6 weeks. The nice part for me was that, since I had made so many, I got to taste as I went along, so there wasn't as much need to indulge on Turkey Day itself.

PH's Pave and the Apple Prune tart (with a lard crust) were my favorites.

Edited by viva (log)

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

I made my mom's pecan pie, which was very good, but of course never quite as good as when Mom makes it :biggrin:

I also made a pumpkin pie with a little bit of saffron syrup, which was a really lovely subtle addition...

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Someone else made the banana bread pudding, and someone else baked the cookies.

Otherwise, I've been in a baking frenzy for the last 6 weeks.  The nice part for me was that, since I had made so many, I got to taste as I went along, so there wasn't as much need to indulge on Turkey Day itself.

PH's Pave and the Apple Prune tart (with a lard crust) were my favorites.

So here's my list of the desserts i prepared for the holidays. I will send some photos, but feel like a real chump after seeing Patrick's glorous photos!!!

Russian Apple Cake

Strawbery Marshmallows

Mocha Marshmallows

Pumpkin Caramel Cheesecake with Pumpkin Truffles

Alfajores

Mexican Brownies

Chocolate Raspberry Rugelach

Korova Cookies

Key Lime Coconut Cheesecake Points

Nutella Tart

Chocolate Chestnut Roulade

Cherry Cheese Strudel

Banana Chocolate Strudel

Dutch Almond Cookies

Mini High Hat Cupcakes

Italian Sesame Cookies

Macadamia Praline Truffles

• 11 months later...

I'm invited over to my bosses' house for T-day dinner, and I'm bringing the dessert (of course).

Three of us loathe pumpkin pie, so I'm off the hook in that regard. I also want to make something simple because I'll be baking my a$$ off the Tuesday before.

So I'm making this Chocolate Cranberry Tart.....and my own special touch.......yes......"Turkey Tuiles". :raz:

For Canada turkey day I made pumpkin cake with chestnut buttercream and little cubes of pumpkin flan and chestnut flan. It was tasty but looked pretty boring on the plate so I may have to use US turkey day as an excuse to do something more interesting.

gallery_53467_5170_5963.jpg

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've been making a pecan pie from Cook's Illustrated since 1989, which is when I clipped the recipe. I've never had a pecan pie I liked better. However, a month or so ago I made the Maple Walnut Tart from RLB and immediately knew that the pecan pie had lost its place on the Thanksgiving table! We liked it so much that I made three of them inside of two weeks.

I know, I know, I know. Its close to the big day and I have not decided. I was hoping for ideas. I am determined to go out on a limb this year and do something different. Any ideas anyone?

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Two years ago, when we had just a small group (6 adults, I think), I made pumpkin pots de creme from the Gourmet cookbook, supplemented with some brownies for my two kids. They were a kind of classy alternative to usual usual messy crisps and pies and such, and they tasted wonderful. If you make them, try crumbling some amaretti on top of the dollop of whipped cream--they needed a little crunch, we thought.

I'm making some tried and true desserts:

Bourbon pecan pie - Since I tried pecan pie with bourbon last year, I'll never go back to making it without. The bourbon just adds a special little kick that also cuts the sweetness of the pie. It's a very nice addition.

Apple pie

Maybe a sweet potato pie as well. I haven't made one of those in a while.