• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you making for Thanksgiving dessert?

Wendy DeBord

Just making two simple ones this year to bring: apple crisp and chocolate pecan pie. I believe my sister-in-law's making a pumpkin cheesecake and either pumpkin or sweet potato pie. I think my father-in-law's fiance said something about a pumpking creme brulee, too. Should be good. :)

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

I'm going to make some sweet & hot bar b q pecans.

I feel a little fish out of water-ish. I usually have potato roll dough going & I pop out traditional carmelly tea rings in the morning and there's always apple & pumpkin pies and three kinds of stuffing, cornbread, fruit and then sage sausage stuffing. And my special mashed potatoes & all the other stuff.

But chef-boy worked so many doubles last week, when they asked him if wanted to work Thursday, he said 'sure' not realizing it was Thanksgiving (du-uh!) So we are going to kid #2's in-law's (to my new son-in-law's Meemaw's house) & I'm not making a huge agape love feast tomorrow--whoopee no dishes :laugh:

I can still make tea-rings for Christmas--but probably won't be able to wait that long for the apple pie. :raz:

Daniel, are you aging the eggs you're using in your goodies???? :laugh:

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!!

I thank God for all my online buddies.

"Better is a dinner of herbs where love is than a tenderlion and hatred therewith."

...gobble gobble :biggrin:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Funny story. I just made it my mothers house and we sat down for lunch.. Well my Orange Pecan Pie never made it to dinner.. It was eaten with in 20 minutes of arriving.. :biggrin:

The eggs were the fresh ones.. How typical.. :biggrin: Happy Thanksgiving..

is that the sweet potato pie that was in Gourmet? i made that a few weeks ago to try it out, and i thought there werne't enough spices in it. what did you think?

my sweet potatoes were a little too big, though.

yes, it was the one from gourmet. i finally got around to tasting it today & i thought it was great!! i will now make this & try to perfect my technique yearly!!

I made an apple pie and a pumpkin pie, and also a pecan/chocolate tart from RLB's Pie and Pastry Bible. RLB's pecan/chocolate combo reminded me of Pierre Herme's Grenobloise tart, so I decided to use his chocolate/almond crust instead of RLB's. I thought it came out really nice, although I think if I do it again I'll cut back a little on the dark corn syrup. It was just a little too much, although it wasn't quite as sickly-sweet as your usual pecan pie.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

In addition to apple pie and Bill Neal's Sweet Potato Pie, I made a new dessert this year, fresh coconut cake. It was incredibly delicious. I combined a number of different recipes and will try to post it on the "best coconut cake' thread. I didn't toast the coconut so the cake was beautifully white.

Strudel sounds nice, Ninjai Fanatic... :smile:

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Here are two other thread re: T-day desserts:

Thanksgiving day desserts

and

Southern Holiday Desserts

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

• 11 months later...

We are having a department dessert party and I usually make my standby pumpkin cheesecake, but I was curious as to what you guys might be planning? Maybe I might be diverted.

I'm actually thinking of making Ina Garten's pumpkin banana mousse tart. I haven't tried it before, but I like the idea of a pumpkin mousse (I like pumpkin, but not in a traditional pie form) with an undercurrent of banana.

Edited by mukki (log)

My Mammaw's Three-Layer Pineapple Cake with Seven Minute Icing.

Fudge Brownie Pie with toasted pecans

Key Lime Mousse in sherbet glasses, whipped cream swirl/candied lime slice

Ambrosia (supremed oranges and tangelos, fresh pineapple, halved grapes and coconut, with perhaps a tiny glug of Sauternes), served in Mammaw's cut-glass bowl.

A guest is bringing the same kind of cherry-topped cheesecake as last year---she makes the most exquisite flaky piecrust, and is putting it in a 9 x 13 this year.

And Daughter will make her famous "turkey" bread at her bakery.

I'm glad someone started this thread. I was thinking of doing it myself.

I've been tasked with doing dessert this year. I've done it in the past. No problem there. What I've typically done is pecan pie or pumpkin pie. I've got good recipes for both. I make my own crust, but run into some issues with the crust. (it "slumps" or slides down the pie plate while baking. It goes in look all nice and pretty. :( )

So, if I do a pie, I need help with the crust part. I'm also very much open to suggestions on types of pies or variations on the pecan or pumpkin and I am also open to something totally different. I'm also willing to do two things. (like maybe a pie and something "unique")

Help me out here..

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I am also open to something totally different.  I'm also willing to do two things. (like maybe a pie and something "unique")               Help me out here..

Razzle Dazzle Recipes has some truly wonderful ideas ... many options with recipes ...

I, personally, will be making a Brandied Pumpkin Pie, a Bourbon Pecan Pie, and an Apple Cinnamon Pie which is always requested by my husband ...

This is the Brandied Pumpkin Pie with crystallized ginger (resembling potato chips unfortunately! :shock:)

gallery_10011_1589_61334.jpg

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Pumpkin pies and pecan bars.

Now, a question on pecan pies, and if I'm in the wrong thread, someone please redirect me: I have tried making pecan pies several times. The directions say that the pie should be set up before taking it out of the oven. But it seems that the middle is set up before the rest of it, and starts to get too dark before the edges set up. Therefore, the resultant pie is watery and when you cut into it it just goes "splat" and kind of collapses. I tried increasing the amount of nuts, but that didn't work. So I started making pecan bars instead.

Anyone have any advice? I'd like to master this darned pie someday! :laugh: