• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is dry ice safe to eat?

pork

What grade is supermarket dry ice? There are many recipies in which the dry ice would come into intimate contact with food: for instance the chunk bubbling away in the botton of the Halloween "Witches Brew" rum punch. Or mixed in to fast-freeze a really smooth sorbet.

Industrial chemicals come in grades from "Industrial" (yuck) through "Reagent" (pure enough for lab work) to "USP" (pharmacutical). What is in the Harris Teeter dry ice besides carbon dioxide?

I use dry ice daily in the lab and I would never think about to use it even close to any kind of food I would eat. As long as you don't have any certified (regarding the purity) dry-ice don't bring it in contact with your food.

And as mentioned don't bring it in contact with your skin or you will have nice frostbites.

But if you're looking to fast-freeze a sorbet, you'd be much better off using liquid nitrogen than dry ice. Carbon dioxide dissolves in water to make carbonic acid, which will change the taste of your sorbet mix.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2