• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughnut help!

aliwaks

Hello all...long time no posting..I have a doughnut emergency Clients of mine want fabu doughnuts for a morning event on Thursday and I am at a loss (they refused Dunkin's)

Also need they to be accessible within CC for pick-up Thursday am... I turn to you my egulleteers to help me with my freid dough crisis!!!

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

If you deep fry at all. If you take canned biscuit dough, tear a hole in it and fry and then plop in cinnamon sugar--they are awesome. You gotta try a few different varieties to find the right one, there's so many. Last time I tried this was forever ago but, there's flaky, extra flakey, country style, buttermilk--I don't remember all the different variations. And one shines above the others.

Really ^^^ those are awesome. Trust me. Use Saigon cinnamon.

Or try

Mister Donut on Calumet Avenue in Munster Indiana :biggrin:

Or

Fry fritters if you are into frying at all.

apple fritters

banana fritters, pumpkin fritters

abalone fritters, artichoke fritters and conch fritters?? cherry & blueberry too.

spicy pineapple fritters with habenero >> my favorite is pineapple, but I've never tried a spicy one like this.

Fritters rule. Very easy if you are into deep frying. Don't burn yourself.

There is that INCRDIBLE donut place at the corner of Juniper St and Drury Lane, just below Chestnut, next to McGillins Old Ale House. Best in town, hands down.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Thanks all K8memohis..good tips not really ambitious=s enough to start making my own donuts and not sure abalone fritters would go off so well for a breakfast meeting but thanks!!!

Decided to go with Frangellis on 9th & Ritner..they have pumpkin donuts

"sometimes I comb my hair with a fork" Eloise

Funny someone should be mentioning fabulous donuts- I usually use Suzy Jo's in Bridgeport as an "enticer" when I have to ask folks to come into work early. Like tomorrow for example, at 6am.

I will be there at SJ's with everyone else at 6am waiting for them to open the doors. I swear it's like junkies needing a fix.

They have great sugar raised that remind me of the kind I used to get back up at home, and a "buttermilk earthquake" that is just to die for. mmmmmdonuts.......

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

• 2 weeks later...
I will be there at SJ's with everyone else at 6am waiting for them to open the doors. I swear it's like junkies needing a fix.

I second Suzy jo's being terrific. Usually when people in Bridgeport say something is great, I think, "well, it's OK - for Bridgeport, but not the rest of the world." Suzy Jo's is the lone exception. That, and Bridgeport has the friendliest Wawa patrons out of any other Wawa. There's always someone holding a door for someone else.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Usually when people in Bridgeport say something is great, I think, "well, it's OK -  for Bridgeport, but not the rest of the world." Suzy Jo's is the lone exception. That, and Bridgeport has the friendliest Wawa patrons out of any other Wawa. There's always someone holding a door for someone else.

Franzone's Pizza is another Bridgeport standout that competes well with the outside world. And their pizza sauce is sweet enough to almost qualify as a donut filling.

But I'll stick with Suzy Jo for donuts. Worth a drive from Upper Darby.

There is that INCRDIBLE donut place at the corner of Juniper St and Drury Lane, just below Chestnut, next to McGillins Old Ale House.  Best in town, hands down.

and walk a few blocks from there to capogiro for a 1-2 punch...

Dum vivimus, vivamus!

• 1 year later...

I'm going to bump this thread back up because I was reminded today of one of my complaints about Philadelphia's food scene: there are no truly great donuts to be found. It's weird, too- we're America's fattest city, dammit, and you'd think we'd rate donuts that fit our girth. After all, when it comes to hoagies, we wouldn't settle for Subway; yet we're forced to rely on Dunkin' Donuts for our donut fix.

So, am I wrong? Is there a great donut to be found here? I was told today that Termini Bros. (in South Philly, not RTM) makes donuts; and since they deep-fry other pastries, that might well be the case. But I haven't checked it out.

I'm going to bump this thread back up because I was reminded today of one of my complaints about Philadelphia's food scene: there are no truly great donuts to be found.  It's weird, too- we're America's fattest city, dammit, and you'd think we'd rate donuts that fit our girth.  After all, when it comes to hoagies, we wouldn't settle for Subway; yet we're forced to rely on Dunkin' Donuts for our donut fix.

So, am I wrong?  Is there a great donut to be found here?

There is, it's the glazed donut at Frangelli's, 9th and Ritner.

Also, I believe we are no longer America's fattest city, though we're still up there..

I'm going to bump this thread back up because I was reminded today of one of my complaints about Philadelphia's food scene: there are no truly great donuts to be found.  It's weird, too- we're America's fattest city, dammit, and you'd think we'd rate donuts that fit our girth.  After all, when it comes to hoagies, we wouldn't settle for Subway; yet we're forced to rely on Dunkin' Donuts for our donut fix.

So, am I wrong?  Is there a great donut to be found here?  I was told today that Termini Bros. (in South Philly, not RTM) makes donuts; and since they deep-fry other pastries, that might well be the case.  But I haven't checked it out.

Termini's used to make great cream filled donuts but they nave not made them (nor the cinnamon buns or danishes unfortunately) in the past few years.

The donuts at Beiler's in Reading Terminal are pretty good and they have great pumpkin ones at that time of year.

Personally I miss the munchkin-type things at Lil' Spot!

There is, it's the glazed donut at Frangelli's, 9th and Ritner.

Also, I believe we are no longer America's fattest city, though we're still up there..

See, I knew somebody would come through! I'll check them out soon, or at least soonish.

(And yeah, I knew that sure, technically, we're no longer the fattest city- but everybody's gotta have a dream, right?)

The donuts at Beiler's in Reading Terminal are pretty good and they have great pumpkin ones at that time of year.

Reliable sources tell me that, if they're not hot, those donuts are nothing special. But you know, I'll give them a try and report back...

Reliable sources tell me that, if they're not hot, those donuts are nothing special. But you know, I'll give them a try and report back...

Although everyone and their brother raves about the hot donuts that Beiler's cranks out for the Pennsylvania Dutch Festival, I am not a fan of them. To me they taste like downing hot shots of lard, so that probably explains my preference for the cold variety. Lately Beiler's has also been stocking munchkin-like holes (that are not made in-house) at the top of the counter. I tried some apple cider ones but was not all that thrilled with them.

Not Philadelphia, but if you're jonesing badly enough to schlep an hour out to central NJ, there are amazing apple cider donuts to be had at Terhune Orchards in Lawrenceville.

That's interesting news. I didn't know Terhune made donuts. I've never seen them at their stand in the Trenton Farmers market before. Their cider is top notch though

Not Philadelphia, but if you're jonesing badly enough to schlep an hour out to central NJ, there are amazing apple cider donuts to be had at Terhune Orchards in Lawrenceville.

That's interesting news. I didn't know Terhune made donuts. I've never seen them at their stand in the Trenton Farmers market before. Their cider is top notch though

They have them at the Trenton Farmer's Market (in little white paper bags), and they're very good, though even better is when you visit the farm store at the actual orchard and you happen to catch them when they're still warm out of the oven. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it pretty much makes my day.

---

al wang

Yea, what Ali said.

Cider donuts are always available at the Trenton Farmers Markets stand, but they sell out quickly and are usually gone by lunchtime; but do travel to the Terhune orchard and you have a good chance of snagging the cider donuts still warm. Extraordinary.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

• 1 month later...