• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish & meat markets in Kansas City

just moved to kansas city and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a good fish monger or butcher in the kc area...

Bichelmeyer's at KS and Miami for meat. Also McGonigles on Ward PKWY.

Fish? Where did the giant Chinese market in the city market move to?

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

Welcome to KC - if you're so inclined, let us know where you came from (in a general sense) so we can perhaps offer relevant comparisons. Also might help to know what quadrant of the metro area you're in so we can tailor suggestions.

Mike's suggestions are good and I would add Paradise Locker Meats in Trimble, MO. If you live in the northland it's not that bad of drive (near Smithville). If you're in the south it is more of a destination. They process a lot of the Heritage Foods meats (brilliant Berkshire pork, for example) and their "regular" stuff is also quite good. There is a little German meat market called Werner's in Mission (on Johnson Drive) that specializes in wurst but also has other things. Krizman's House of Sausage in Strawberry Hill (KCK) makes a pretty wide variety of sausages, smoked and raw (specializing in Eastern Europe/Croatian but they make a decent Andouille as well) and Fritz's near State Line and I-435 also has some smoked, cured meats, high-quality franks and I think they do custom smoking as well.

The Good Natured Family Farms meats at the Hen House markets are typically fresher and more natural than average supermarket fare, since it's from the area.

I would also add that McGonigle's, known for their steaks, also has some of the best quality fish in town. That, Whole Foods and Dean & DeLuca. I wasn't aware that the mega Asian store had moved from City Market - we'll have to track that down. And on the City Market topic but reverting back from fish to meat, they have a few little meat markets that feature some offal, pig's trotters, and other less-mainstream cuts.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I wasn't aware that the mega Asian store had moved from City Market - we'll have to track that down.  And on the City Market topic but reverting back from fish to meat, they have a few little meat markets that feature some offal, pig's trotters, and other less-mainstream cuts.

I was told by a reliable source on chowhoud it had moved. I could be wrong. And yes, House of Sausage rules.

Welcome to KC - if you're so inclined, let us know where you came from (in a general sense) so we can perhaps offer relevant comparisons. Also might help to know what quadrant of the metro area you're in so we can tailor suggestions.

wow! nice feedback. to reply, we just moved from upstate new york where i was a chef at a restaurant. before that i was in chicago at places like: trio (the new and closed one), fortunato (also closed) and frontera (very much open). anyway, i'm currently treading water in o.p before we find something more permanent closer to downtown. i'm very familiar with heritage, i used them at the restaurant, but was even more spoiled by all of the other smaller and local farmers like: snowdance, violet hill, wild roots, mtn sweet berry, etc. i'll poke around a bit and let you know how it goes...

towncompany

Where did the giant Chinese market in the city market move to?

It's called Chinatown Market and is at 2nd and Grand where Garret's was. By the bridge. Not only do they have all different Asian stuff ( Japanese, Chinese, Southeast Asian, Filipino, Indonesian, etc,) they have Hispanic and Indian, too. It's a very good market. I buy stuff for the catering business I work for and save us a ton of money.

Where did the giant Chinese market in the city market move to?

It's called Chinatown Market and is at 2nd and Grand where Garret's was. By the bridge. Not only do they have all different Asian stuff ( Japanese, Chinese, Southeast Asian, Filipino, Indonesian, etc,) they have Hispanic and Indian, too. It's a very good market. I buy stuff for the catering business I work for and save us a ton of money.

Thanks for the 4-1-1. I was hoping they hadn't moved too far away but confident that they were still in business, considering their selection and prices. I loved the old (well, new, well second) Garrett's space, too, so nice to see it put to good use.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Welcome to KC - if you're so inclined, let us know where you came from (in a general sense) so we can perhaps offer relevant comparisons.  Also might help to know what quadrant of the metro area you're in so we can tailor suggestions.

wow!  nice feedback.  to reply, we just moved from upstate new york where i was a chef at a restaurant.  before that i was in chicago at places like:  trio (the new and closed one), fortunato (also closed) and frontera (very much open).  anyway, i'm currently treading water in o.p before we find something more permanent closer to downtown.  i'm very familiar with heritage, i used them at the restaurant, but was even more spoiled by all of the other smaller and local farmers like:  snowdance, violet hill, wild roots, mtn sweet berry, etc.  i'll poke around a bit and let you know how it goes...

I would second the rec. for Paradise Locker in Trimble as well as Bicklemeyers, high quality fish is harder to come by, try McGonigles or Whole Foods. As for all the small local producers I am convinced that there are as many here as anywhere else in the U.S. P.M. me to let me know what you're looking for and I'll let you know where to find it.

dave

Nadler's in Wellinton, Missouri is tops! Plus when veggies and fruits are in season Wellington is a great find. Nadler's has been there about 70 years very old school.

Paradise I found really didn't have that much know how (IMO), I belive they are still pretty new (only a few years old with the new owners). When it was under the old owners I woudn't by worms from them it was such a mess. I know now it's alot cleaner.

Holy St. PETE that Chinatown Market really does have an amazing selection.  I've been neglecting it since the farmer's market season is over, but I do need to get down there one Saturday morning.

Indeed they do. I might even make a run today. I stumbled upon a recipe for sweet & sour octopus that looks too good and they're the only ones I know who routinely stock fresh tentacles.

M.F.K. Fisher

towncompany,

A "tease" in today's food section reminded me that, while you didn't ask for charcuterie, if you're looking for good, imported mortadella, capicollo, speck, prosciuto and various Italian salume, Bella Napoli in Brookside has a good variety and quality. It's not inexpensive but it's darn good.

ETA: and bacalao usually this time of year (but not always so call ahead).

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

M.F.K. Fisher

towncompany,

A "tease" in today's food section reminded me that, while you didn't ask for charcuterie, if you're looking for good, imported mortadella, capicollo, speck, prosciuto and various Italian salume, Bella Napoli in Brookside has a good variety and quality.  It's not inexpensive but it's darn good.

nice, i got back from italy a few weeks ago, i was at the slowfood/terra madre convention. next to that was the salone de gusto, a huge "gourmet" food show, featuring more cured pork products than you could possibly imagine, among countless other things: cheeses, fruits, sweets, spirits, wines, beers, etc. etc. if we ever meet in person, i will bring some of the literature that i brought back. i'm sure that you and most of the other people that are on egullet would like it...alot...

towncompany

Holy St. PETE that Chinatown Market really does have an amazing selection.  I've been neglecting it since the farmer's market season is over, but I do need to get down there one Saturday morning.

Indeed they do. I might even make a run today. I stumbled upon a recipe for sweet & sour octopus that looks too good and they're the only ones I know who routinely stock fresh tentacles.

Can you re-doux that recipe for me?

Edited by chileheadmike (log)

towncompany,

A "tease" in today's food section reminded me that, while you didn't ask for charcuterie, if you're looking for good, imported mortadella, capicollo, speck, prosciuto and various Italian salume, Bella Napoli in Brookside has a good variety and quality.  It's not inexpensive but it's darn good.

nice, i got back from italy a few weeks ago, i was at the slowfood/terra madre convention. next to that was the salone de gusto, a huge "gourmet" food show, featuring more cured pork products than you could possibly imagine, among countless other things: cheeses, fruits, sweets, spirits, wines, beers, etc. etc. if we ever meet in person, i will bring some of the literature that i brought back. i'm sure that you and most of the other people that are on egullet would like it...alot...

Hey TC, did you meet the Rogue Cheese Guys while there?

Speaking of "teases," moosnsqrl, I didn't know that Bella Napoli carried bacalao!!??

Does anyone know where I can get some worms? I need some bait.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com