• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Appleton Reserve and Extra

jlo mein

Up here in the BC Liquor Stores we have the full Appleton line (minus the soon to be released Master Blender's Legacy and 21 Year Old). I already had a bottle of V/X and enjoyed it as an ambitious sipping rum or excellent mixer. Definitely picking up another bottle of V/X soon since nothing else I have mixes as well (next best mixer I have is Mount Gay Eclipse).

However, I also wanted to pick up one of the other Appleton's. Reserve and Extra are both priced similarly. I have read around the forums and it seems more people buy Extra than Reserve, but I have no idea if that is due to preference or availability. I also read that the Reserve was reblended around 2003 and many may not have tasted the updated version (Ed Hamilton's note in the forum at the time said he had not had it).

Has anybody had both? Comparisons?

Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying English Harbour 5 Year Old recommended to me by DerekW. My other rums include Pampero Aniversario, Pyrat XO, Cruzan Diamond, Bacardi 8, and Flor de Cana 5 Year. I'm also experimenting with Marie Brizard Blackberry liqueur right now.