• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I want the best mandarin oranges

I like to buy a couple of boxes of mandarin oranges (preferably seedless) that are sweet and very juicy. I don't like any tartness. If I have to buy oranges with seeds to get that then so be it.

People tell me Japanese mandarins are superior, others tell me that Korean mandarins are the best. So which is it?

I bought some from Superstore and find it's not sweet enough. I think these were Chinese mandarins.

I remember a few years ago I bought some from a grocery on West Broadway (West of MacDonald Street.) They were the best I've ever tasted.

I'd appreciate your suggestions for stores in the Lower Mainland.

I like to buy a couple of boxes of mandarin oranges (preferably seedless) that are sweet and very juicy.  I don't like any tartness.  If I have to buy oranges with seeds to get that then so be it.

People tell me Japanese mandarins are superior, others tell me that Korean mandarins are the best.  So which is it? 

I bought some from Superstore and find it's not sweet enough.  I think these were Chinese mandarins.

I remember a few years ago I bought some from a grocery on West Broadway (West of MacDonald Street.)  They were the best I've ever tasted.

I'd appreciate your suggestions for stores in the Lower Mainland.

Recently, I have bought some at Kin's (various locations, including City Square and Oakridge, etc), and IIRC, they were labelled as "Honey Sweet", and they are quite small but very juicy and sweet. The bigger ones are different brand, cheaper and not as sweet. They probably would have samples or would let you try them if you ask.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Right now I'm eating some mandarins that are so sweet and orange-y that they taste like Tang and smell like Absolut Mandarin. I didn't think it was possible for mandarins to capture the pure taste of orange essence like this. My coworkers tell me they're from China. Considering that's only about 300 km away, though, it could be just that they're fresh.

I can't ever remember getting a piece of fruit as delicious as these are in Canada - well, with the exception of a ripe MacIntosh apple picked off the tree in the Annapolis valley.

The best I've had so far this season are Japanese from Costco. The Chinese mandarins that I've had from the grocery stores don't have as good flavour and the membrane is often tough.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

In previous years, the Johansen Ranch mandarins from California, available at Capers, have been very good, although pricy.

I just returned from Italy, and I must say that if you have the opportunity to purchase some Sicilian clementines, I think you'll find they outshine any mandarins normally on offer in these parts. If you should be so lucky as to have two varieties of Italian clementines to choose from, the Sicilians were in my experience more flavourful that the Calabrese.

Tried the Japanese oranges from Coscto and they were sweet and easy to peel with most of the membrane removed from the fruit.

Tried the Korean mandarins from IGA and they were bland in comparison. A lot of the membrane remained on the oranges. Good thing I didn't buy a box. At least the IGA in my area has a refund policy if you find a rotten one on the bottom. You have to bring back the box with the rotten orange(s).

I know you only want Lower Mainland recommendations. However, the sweetest can only be found on Vancouver Island - at Oxford Foods in the Cook Street Village, Victoria.

$3.79 a box, great price.

Memo - orange you glad you asked?

Ríate y el mundo ríe contigo. Ronques y duermes solito.

Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Snore, and you sleep alone.

I know you only want Lower Mainland recommendations. However, the sweetest can only be found on Vancouver Island - at Oxford Foods in the Cook Street Village, Victoria.

$3.79 a box, great price.

Memo - orange you glad you asked?

Just wondering, what type of mandarin were these?

Thanks.

For my money, or Jimmy Pattison's, as it were... we won 'groceries for a year' this year ... Sun Brand Japanese mandarins are the cat's ass.

When my wife was preggers with our first, she lived off these and ginger tea for about three months. :biggrin: It was, of course, all my fault ...

-- Matt.

I found some Satsumas at Capers and Choices. They were worth the price of $3.49 per pound. They had a bit of tartness but they were juicy and sweet. They are not as large as other mandarins but you can buy slightly larger ones in a 3lb box for $15. I believe they are from the states (as printed on the box.)

I think this is my favorite and despite the high price, they will be the ones I buy for presents.

Thanks for all your suggestions and keep them coming.

Edited by maxmillan (log)

I found some Satsumas at Capers and Choices.  They were worth the price of $3.49 per pound.  They had a bit of tartness but they were juicy and sweet.  They are not as large as other mandarins but you can buy slightly larger ones in a 3lb box for $15.  I believe they are from the states (as printed on the box.)

I think this  is my favorite and despite the high price, they will be the ones I buy for presents.

Thanks for all your suggestions and keep them coming.

Woooops. The weight of a box of Satsumas at Capers and Choices is 5 pounds at a cost of $15 and the size is the same as the individually sold mandarins which are $3.59 per pound.