• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Farm-To-Market Cafe - Kansas City

Aaron Deacon

Stopped by the Farm to Market Cafe twice this past weekend and doubt that I will ever got back. Didn't order much, but I was so taken by negative vibes on two straight visits that I don't feel the need too.

The space is kind of weird...I don't really know how to explain it. There's a little "market" area in front where they sell some bread and that cheesy-looking Papardelles pasta they have at the OP Farmer's Market. I like most of FTM's breads well enough, but I have two big problems...1) you can almost never find a whole wheat or whole grain bread. I think they make one, but I don't ever see it. 2) Their bagged bread is a rip-off, and not much better than grocery store bagged bread.

Anyway, the physical space really lacked charm, I thought, which is somewhat surprising as it has potential to be a charming location. Just not very comfortable, a little cramped, indifferent service...just not someplace I want to linger.

First visit, Saturday, ordered a cherry danish and a ham and cheese croissant with a cafe au lait. The danish and croissant were gone before the drink was ready. It must have taken 5-10 minutes, and it wasn't that busy. The drink was sort of weak and thin...not a great cafe au lait.

The danish was chewy not flaky, and the croissant wasn't very well made either. And it looked like it was stuffed with some swiss cheese and folded over deli ham from Hy-Vee. Really disappointing (though to their credit, they did offer a ham and cheese croissant, which is more than I can say for the Andres..."Um, I'm sorry, what are 'savory' croissants?").

So Sunday, I head back, just to pick up a loaf of bread. I look over at the counter where it was the day before...nothing. I asked the guy working the counter: "Oh no, they don't deliver the bread on Sunday's...you could maybe try Hen House."

Deliver!? Hen House!? What the heck is this place? Confused and more than a bit put off, I stumbled back to my car and got some FTM French sourdough from Price Chopper.

If I go back to the Cafe, it will be because of someone else.

Good luck, and report back.

A friend and I stopped in just to check out the new look, but neither of us was hungry so we didn't attempt to order anything.

I'm sorry to hear that they're apparently falling short of the mark, especially since so many area residents were upset that Mildred's was, um, discouraged out of the space by increased rents (at least that was the scuttlebutt - I have no hard facts to back that so please know that it's hearsay).

When FTM first started it was more artisnal but grew too quickly. Fred Spolito, now of Fervere, was one of the original partners. He wanted to stay small so he got out. I think that's why he steadfastly refuses to supply restaurants or stay open more than 3 days a week. But his bread sure is good when you can get your hands on it.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Yeah, Mildred's will be a hard act to follow, charm-wise.

One of the reasons we decided to live in the Brookside area was the Breadsmith. I was heartbroken when it closed, and I haven't found anything else like it yet (any ideas?).

Well, as Mildred's was a coffee house and Breadsmith a bakery, I'm not entirely certain what niche you're trying to replace. Bella Napoli has sfogliatelli and usually a couple of other pastries along with good coffee (et al.) and it's just next door and draws an eclectic, European crowd. It's not unusual to hear French and German there, as well as Italian, and it's IMHO a good place to read the paper and exchange idle chatter (or not).

As for bread and a wider variety of baked goods, the nearest place is probably Napoleon Bakery in Westport or the one just west of Wornall & 75th (where Tiffany's Attic Theatre was - drawing a blank on the name at the moment - maybe someone less-senile could help me out here?).

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

One of the reasons we decided to live in the Brookside area was the Breadsmith. I was heartbroken when it closed, and I haven't found anything else like it yet (any ideas?).

My ticker was broken also! I have discovered a fix, I ran across an article in the New York Times food section last week for a no kneed bread. I've been making it everyday now. I use a cast iron Dutch oven and it's spot on. The bread is superior to anything I have found in the metro area!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/0...b348&ei=5087%0A

Edited by bbqqueen (log)

My ticker was broken also! I have discovered a fix, I ran across an article in the New York Times food section last week for a no kneed bread. I've been making it everyday now. I use a cast iron Dutch oven and it's spot on. The bread is superior to anything I have found in the metro area!

Just guessing . . . you never shopped at The Breadsmith . . . or at Fevere . . .or at Napoleon . . . or . . .?

M.F.K. Fisher

Just guessing . . . you never shopped at The Breadsmith . . . or at Fevere . . .or at Napoleon . . . or . . .?

Oh, no I loved the Breadsmith and was heartsick also! Le Fevere's crumb is just too hard for my teeth, after I turned 60 I had to switch round to a softer crumb. Napoleon's I was never too raring about, however I semi-liked it before the owners split up a few years back.

I wish that little bakery on Westport road was still there, for the likes of me I can't remember there name. They where a block west of Boozefish on the corner, the bread they offered was tops!

I ran across an article in the New York Times food section last week for a no kneed bread.

I've been planning on trying this today or tomorrow. There's a good thread, including some pics and some tweaks over here:

http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=10612

I have great fortune with this recipe, and I’ll never buy French bread again! It has all the ingredients that should be in bread. I'm sorry if I scandalized anyone here stating it was better than anything I've purchased in the metro area. I honestly believe it is! The best part is I can have it on Mondays and Wednesdays without having to wait until Thursdays and hoping to beat the flocks that beeline it to Fevere's.

Well, as Mildred's was a coffee house and Breadsmith a bakery, I'm not entirely certain what niche you're trying to replace.  Bella Napoli has sfogliatelli and usually a couple of other pastries along with good coffee (et al.) and it's just next door and draws an eclectic, European crowd.  It's not unusual to hear French and German there, as well as Italian, and it's IMHO a good place to read the paper and exchange idle chatter (or not).

Forgive me, Judy, for being unclear. I was lamenting both losses.

I've certainly partaken of my fair share of espresso delights from Bella Napoli, and watched Jake greet an entire visiting European soccer team before a Wizards game... now THAT was some lovely scenery!

As for bread and a wider variety of baked goods, the nearest place is probably Napoleon Bakery in Westport or the one just west of Wornall & 75th (where Tiffany's Attic Theatre was - drawing a blank on the name at the moment - maybe someone less-senile could help me out here?).

Cafe Aponaire? NOT a personal favorite. Awful food (though baked goods OK, not stellar), horrid service... no thanks.

Napoleon I like, it's just not walking distance like Breadsmith was.

I stopped by the new Green Acres store (more prepared foods, less ingredients, but pleasant enough) and found some really fabulous Wheatfields Walnut Sage French Country Bread. The label says it's from Lawrence... do they distribute anywhere else? This is good, hearty stuff... very close to my old favorite Sour Wheat Walnut loaf I used to get in Sacramento.

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Cafe Aponaire? NOT a personal favorite. Awful food (though baked goods OK, not stellar), horrid service... no thanks.

I stopped by the new Green Acres store (more prepared foods, less ingredients, but pleasant enough) and found some really fabulous Wheatfields Walnut Sage French Country Bread. The label says it's from Lawrence... do they distribute anywhere else? This is good, hearty stuff... very close to my old favorite Sour Wheat Walnut loaf I used to get in Sacramento.

Wow, I've never heard that. I only tried to go there once and I was in a hurry and it was packed, so I gave up. Glad I didn't stand on line for a half hour for mediocre stuff!

I had a bite of that Walnut Sage they were sampling the other day. I don't generally like nut breads but I love sage and I love most Wheatfields products, so I gave it a try. I could have eaten the entire tray of cubes they were offering; but I sure wished they had a toaster and some Irish butter. Nothing like a choosy beggar, eh? I don't believe there is anywhere else selling their bread - I was a little surprised to see it at GA.

And I am shocked that you were lusting after an entire soccer team, mama. :shock::laugh:

M.F.K. Fisher

Wow, I've never heard that. I only tried to go there once and I was in a hurry and it was packed, so I gave up. Glad I didn't stand on line for a half hour for mediocre stuff!

I had a bite of that Walnut Sage they were sampling the other day. I don't generally like nut breads but I love sage and I love most Wheatfields products, so I gave it a try. I could have eaten the entire tray of cubes they were offering; but I sure wished they had a toaster and some Irish butter. Nothing like a choosy beggar, eh? I don't believe there is anywhere else selling their bread - I was a little surprised to see it at GA.

And I am shocked that you were lusting after an entire soccer team, mama. :shock::laugh:

Oh yes, the baker, she was in GA when I was there last week, was putting up a display of break in a basket up above the shelf - she had talked about varnishing the bread (or something like that) to preserve it better... I offered to eat them all - what a waste.

Since none of the bread I saw when I was there was labeled, I can only guess which of the breads I saw was Sage and Wheatberry. The only two that I could readily ID were the baguette and a braided challah/egg bread.

As for la cucina di mamma, I stopped in this week, but I must have missed this salami-slinging Casanova. Didn't eat, just in to pick up some imported stuff from Bella Napoli next door... but I did stop in to see the menu.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Oh yes, the baker, she was in GA when I was there last week, was putting up a display of break in a basket up above the shelf -

Have I caught the venerable u.e. with a typo? :raz: Or is there a new type of baked good I'm gonna learn more about real soon now? :wink:

A bit of Googling turned up this: <a href="http://www.wheatfieldsbakery.com/">Wheatfields.</a> I sent an email asking about their distribution sites; will report back if I get a reply.

re: the soccer team... :biggrin: OK, Judy, I guess in some ways I'm more of a gourmand!

Come visit my virtual kitchen.

Oh yes, the baker, she was in GA when I was there last week, was putting up a display of break in a basket up above the shelf -

Have I caught the venerable u.e. with a typo? :raz: Or is there a new type of baked good I'm gonna learn more about real soon now? :wink:

A bit of Googling turned up this: <a href="http://www.wheatfieldsbakery.com/">Wheatfields.</a> I sent an email asking about their distribution sites; will report back if I get a reply.

re: the soccer team... :biggrin: OK, Judy, I guess in some ways I'm more of a gourmand!

*Le Shock!* Very very sorry for taxing all of you with my misspellings. :blush: Move along, nothing to see here...

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com