• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Stranger than Fiction"

therese

Wow.

Almost certainly the best film I've ever seen. Period. And all sorts of great food: beautiful food, odd food, food as central plot element, food puns.

Go see it immediately, and plan on stopping on your way home to pick up the soundtrack.

Can you pee in the ocean?

I've seen the previews and it looked interesting ... but the eGullet and TIFF reviewes really help. It's moved from my "Will Ferrel -- Taledega Nights? You've got to be kidding!!" to my "Let's go see this film" list ...

Regards,

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

It was a cute movie. The last song was a good one and an old one from the 70's. It was called "Love You" by a group called Free Design. They did not include it on the soundtrack but if anyone wants to here it they can preview it here. Unfortunately the preview doesn/t include the stanza about cookies etc.

http://www.last.fm/music/The+Free+Design/_/Love+You

I've seen some good movies that involved food, like Tampopo, Babette's Feast and Delicatessen, but they didn't feature Maggie Gyllenhaal... I think I shall watch this movie.

I just saw a movie that had Maggie as a chichi cake baker, but it was just OK.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0402230/

Andrea

in Albuquerque

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

I saw it yesterday and it was a pure delight! The first cookie scene was incredible. I loved it and wanted cookies so bad! (The theatres really miss out when they don't cross merchandize with their movies.)

The chasracters were great, the vignettes were deep, and each and every character was imbedded perfectly. I loved it.

What were they eating? I noticed it immediately and could not identify the "mound". :huh:

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

I saw it yesterday and it was a pure delight! The first cookie scene was incredible. I loved it and wanted cookies so bad! (The theatres really miss out when they don't cross merchandize with their movies.)

The chasracters were great, the vignettes were deep, and each and every character was imbedded perfectly. I loved it.

What were they eating? I noticed it immediately and could not identify the "mound". :huh:

the mound is bamboo and in a related article it said that there was also pickled fern fronds, lychee nuts and something else i can't recall. i did however see enoki in both plates as well.

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

the mound is bamboo and in a related article it said that there was also pickled fern fronds, lychee nuts and something else i can't recall. i did however see enoki in both plates as well.

pickled daikon

And this old porch is like a steaming greasy plate of enchiladas,With lots of cheese and onions and a guacamole salad ...This Old Porch...Lyle Lovett

• 1 month later...