• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Molasses/Blackstrap molasses

Waterzoy

I have a recipe from a US baking book that calls for 'molasses (not Blackstrap)'.

I am not sure what the equivalent would be that I could buy in the UK. I'm guessing that Blackstrap molasses are similar to what we call 'treacle' which is extremely thick, black and often used in dark, sticky gingerbreads. I assume that molasses must be something lighter, more syrupy than thick and perhaps a bit sweeter than treacle.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I could substitute for molasses?

Thanks.

I have a recipe that calls for syrup which I assumed meant golden syrup...and used part light corn syrup part molasses....maybe you could try part treacle and part golden syrup...

what is the item you are making?

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have a recipe from a US baking book that calls for 'molasses (not Blackstrap)'.

I am not sure what the equivalent would be that I could buy in the UK. I'm guessing that Blackstrap molasses are similar to what we call 'treacle'  which is extremely thick, black and often used in dark, sticky gingerbreads. I assume that molasses must be something lighter, more syrupy than thick and perhaps a bit sweeter than treacle.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what I could substitute for molasses?

Thanks.

Blackstrap is different from black treacle--more bitter, or something. I'd use 3/4 black treacle, 1/4 golden syrup. Regular molasses is only a little lighter in flavor than treacle.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

A couple of months ago I contacted a molasses manufacturer to help clarify flavor and terminology... they educated me that "fancy" or even better "extra fancy" molasses has teh sweetest and best flavor. Blackstrap on the other hand is darker, more refined (think of olive oil and first presing, second pressing etc and you'll get the picture) and more bitter. To accomodate the bitterness from blackstrap they advised adding corn syrup or as you may describe golden syrup.

As for treacle, sorry, that's a new term to me.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian Misko

House of Q - Competition BBQ

www.houseofq.com

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this article is correct, but according to wikipedia, treacle is molasses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

Another article online which discusses the treacle/molasses connection:

http://www.ochef.com/316.htm

So, it seems that treacle is the equivalent of molasses, and if the above two sources are correct then the terms are as follows:

First boiling: light molasses (US) = golden syrup or light treacle (UK)

Second boiling: dark molasses(US) = treacle(UK)

Third boiling: Blackstrap molasses (US and UK)

I can vouch for the US terms being correct at the least.

Another thing that I noted is that what is popularly called sorghum molasses in the US, is actually not made from sugarcane, as molasses is, and so is actually not molasses at all.

What a tangled web of molasses/treacle madness...

I don't know if this article is correct, but according to wikipedia, treacle is molasses:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses

Another article online which discusses the treacle/molasses connection:

http://www.ochef.com/316.htm

First boiling:  light molasses (US) = golden syrup or light treacle (UK)

Second boiling:  dark molasses(US) = treacle(UK)

Third boiling:  Blackstrap molasses (US and UK)

Light molasses is definitely not the same as golden syrup--it's dark and opaque, while golden syrup is transparent and amber-colored. Treacle and dark molasses are similar, but I still think they're different. At least, Bre'er Rabbit dark molasses isn't the same as Lyle's black treacle.

Edited by beccaboo (log)

• 2 years later...

I bought some molasses when I was in the Philippines, and the lid popped off shortly after I put it in my suitcase. Luckily, I had wrapped it in a plastic bag, but I'm wondering. . .

Does molasses ferment? When the lid popped off, there was a very audible pop like a champagne cork, and it wasn't (I don't think) precipitated by any major event like being dropped. It didn't smell bad, but I'm not so familiar with the taste of molasses to know if it has fermented or not.

Does molasses ferment?  When the lid popped off, there was a very audible pop like a champagne cork, and it wasn't (I don't think) precipitated by any major event like being dropped.  It didn't smell bad, but I'm not so familiar with the taste of molasses to know if it has fermented or not.

Most certainly. Most rum is made from fermented molasses, which is then distilled.

Christopher D. Holst aka "cdh"

Learn to brew beer with my eGCI course

Chris Holst, Attorney-at-Lunch

Most certainly.  Most rum is made from fermented molasses, which is then distilled.

The things you learn every day! I didn't know rum was made from molasses.

Do you think it could still be used? Or should I let it ferment a little more and use it as some kind of alcohol-base? (just kidding)