• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
nuppe

Surimi in Lyon

I'll go from Norway to France in early December to study the use of surimi(! I use to get some reactions from the worlds food lovers on that one) I hope to include 2-3 days in Lyon. The aim is to experience how the surimi of France actually is consumed and to see if surimi has acces to restaurants or eventually cafes. Hopefully I'll have glass of wine as well...

?????????????? You're talking about that processed sea-crap???????????????

I don't know of any reputable restaurant who would have it on their table..

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Yes. Thank you!

I don't know of any reputable restaurant who would have it on their table..

I'm afraid that this is quite an exaggeration.

OK here folks; this isn't "Borat goes out Eating."

Civility, helpful information and respect please.

nuppe simply said:

I'll go from Norway to France in early December to study the use of surimi(! I use to get some reactions from the worlds food lovers on that one) I hope to include 2-3 days in Lyon. The aim is to experience how the surimi of France actually is consumed and to see if surimi has acces to restaurants or eventually cafes. Hopefully I'll have glass of wine as well...

Let's respond to her request.

A lot of France's surimi is made in Saint Malo. The company Comapêche, or Compagnie de la Pêche, has a factory ship (Joseph Roty II) which not only catches blue whiting, but also processes it into surimi. It's apparently the only ship which does this. The ship fishes in the winter, and spent this summer in St Malo offering tours. (I know this because I queued up for one, but had to leave the very long queue before reaching the front in order to catch my plane!).

This is basically from memory, but there was a fairly detailed and interesting article in the newspaper Ouest France in mid-July 06, which you should be able to find in their online archive - for a fee - if you read French (Ouest France archive access).

Hope this helps!

Caroline

Hello Nuppe.

In France surimi is mostly for home consumption, and you'll see a lot of it in supermarkets.

You're unlikely to find it in restaurants but I think it is not absent from places like cafeterias, school or corporate cantines, any sort of collective catering.

I wonder what types of surimi products are available in France.

I understand that fake crabmeat sticks are popular in North America, but what about in France and other European countries?

For those who are not familar with surimi, here is an entry in Wikipedia.

Visit this kamaboko thread in the Japan Forum to view photos of all sorts of surimi products.

What have I started now? :smile:

All in all the answers have been both friendful and useful to me. And I have to thank Hiroyuki for standing up for the surimi, basically the original Japanese kamaboko type. It's my impression that surimi products have a low status in most countries and that someone also regard them as bad, falsely flavoured actors in the world of food and enemies of those who want to take care of slow and natural food. I can understand that reaction, but when you dive into things, they are never that simple. I am now doing a little surimi dive, and if we speak of the history, it's in fact older and more thrilling than the stories of some of the more precious foods. Concerning France I imagine that the French version of the modern surimi is rather refined with a more varieties than we find in the rest of the Western world, but that's what I could like to check.

Thank you for civility, John, and good advice from the others. I will in fact go to Saint Malo as well.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Mullinix18
      I dont believe that any English translation of Carêmes works exist. An incomplete version was published in 1842 (I think) but even the that version seems lackluster for the few recipes it does cover. I think it's time the world looks to its past, but I don't speak great French and it's a huge task to undertake. I hopefully plan on publishing this work and anyone who helps me will get a very fair cut, and if we decide not to publish it, I'll put it out on the internet for free. I'm working in Google docs so we can collaborate. I'm first cataloging the index to cross reference the pre-existing incomplete English version to give us a reference of what yet needs to be done, and from there we will go down the list of recipies and Translate them one by one. Simple google translate goes only so far, as it is 1700s French culinary terms and phrases being used. I'd like to preserve as much of Carêmes beautiful and flowery language as possible. Who's with me? 
    • By Mullinix18
      I have seen referenced in several places on the internet, including Wikipedia, a stat about escoffier recommending 40 minutes for scrambled eggs in a Bain Marie. I cant find where this number is from. On Wikipedia it refers to the book I currently own, the "Escoffier le guide culinaire" with forward by Heston Blumenthal by h. L. Cracknell...specificly page 157 for the 40 minute cooking time of scrambled eggs but it's not in my book on that page! Even tho there is the recipe for scrambled eggs on that page... I've seen the 1903 first edition online.. And it's not in there either.... Where is this number from?? Id like to know in case there is some even more complete book or something out there that I'm missing. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you. 
    • By DanM
      One of the surprises from our move to Switzerland is the availability of kosher charcuterie. Sausages of all types, confit, mousse, rietttes, etc... One of the recent finds is this block of smoked beef. It has a nice fat layer in the middle. Any thoughts on how to use it? Should I slice it thin and then fry?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    • By boilsover
      Long story, but I have a friend with whom I share a lust for French patisserie in general and kouign aman in particular.  We have another friend, kind of a starry chef in France.  We'd like to surprise our Parisian friend by being at least marginally competent with the kouign the next time we meet up.

I had always heard of a specialty rolling pin called a Tutove (I think it's the name of the manufacturer).  It's supposed to be the Secret Weapon of puff pastry.  The idea is that the pin has grooves/ridges that better place butter into the layers of dough.

So I found one (a real one, made by Tutove) on Ebay at a good price, but I need any basic tips y'all have for using it.  Anyone here use one, or have a resource for how to roll with a Tutove?

Many Thanks!
    • By DanM
      I was planning on buying  jar of duck confit at the market, but I had a dimwitted moment and grabbed the confit goose gizzards instead. What should I do with them? Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Dan