• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 8)

SweetSide

Thanks everyone for their patience with my lameness :blink:

So, the challenge was to: "...take FRUITCAKE out of the land of misfits! Take it apart, turn it around, deconstruct it, reconstruct it, but remove the stigma and show us the beauty that lies within..."

Let's see what I did:

I used two different kinds of fruitcake. Both of which aren't necessarily fruitcake...but they are cake with fruit in them!

Here's a picture of the two different cakes -

gallery_10108_3240_379271.jpg

The cake on the left is a pretty dense, not too sweet pound cake type cake. There's buttermilk in it, eggs, sugar, butter and flour. The original recipe might have been better than what I ended up with, but my husband likes it so it must be decent. I got the base recipe from a co-worker who got it from a local (San Francisco) cooking school called Tante Marie. It is supposed to be a Brandied Cherry Chocolate Fruitcake. My version is a bit different (more due to using what I had on hand than anything else). I used a bunch of dried fruit and toasted nuts (see earlier post with photo of Trader Joe's expedition) as well as some 61% E. Guittard pistoles. The dried fruit, I plumped up in hot water and after draining, covered with brandy and a touch of vanilla extract.

The cake on the right is a basic gingerbread that I studded with the same boozy fruit with the addition of tons of candied ginger to compensate for the fact that I didn't have any dried ground ginger :shock: .

Edited by alanamoana (log)

ooooookay...

so here's the dessert -

gallery_10108_3240_117636.jpg

and another view, a bit blurry -

gallery_10108_3240_792995.jpg

The method behind the madness:

I cooked some sugar with corn syrup to hard crack stage, avoiding any color. I poured a small amount on a silpat, warmed it up and rolled it paper thin. I trimmed off the excess and formed it around a square shaped object to make a clear tower. Most pros will recognize the style of Oriol Balageur (a Spanish pastry chef extraordinaire) in this.

I layered the gingerbread version of fruitcake with an eggnog cream made in an isi whipped cream canister. The cream is made with this-

gallery_10108_3240_28917.jpg

I learned about Stroh Rum from my previous boss. I think the story is, his mother-in-law is Eastern European and uses this in every dessert she makes. It has a butterscotch-y aroma and as the label says...it is 80% alcohol!!! Strong stuff.

Off to the side of the tower is the boozy fruit poundcake. I punched it out, panko-ed it and deep fried it. It is resting on a small bed of boozy fruit and is surrounded by a pulled sugar ring (I just used the extra sugar that I used for the tower and heated it up to give it some color so that when I pulled it, it would be golden).

The sauce is just plain old chocolate sauce.

There are a lot of things I'd do differently. I think this is a good basic concept for a fall/winter dessert.

I had initially wanted to do ice cream as well. That's for another time, I guess.

The great thing about the challenge is that it made me think beyond just fruitcake. It has started a chain reaction of ideas in my head. All of the things that I didn't make are still floating around in my noggin and might make their way out sometime soon.

Please get ready for the next challenge. I will post it tomorrow morning.

I do think that I was too easy on myself for this. I'm amazed at the amount of effort that everyone else has put into the challenges. It is so fun and what a great forum for everyone to post ideas and suggestions. The multi component desserts that everyone has come up with are amazing and humbling. I apologize if I didn't do enough. Maybe there's some extra credit I can work on after school?

There's more, but I don't want to get mushy during an already sentimental time of year :wink:

Thanks everyone. I'll post a link to the new challenge as soon as I put it up in the AM.

Best,

Alana

Alana,

That looks terrific!! Made all that much better by the pictures of the plain ol' fruitcake to start.

So is the sugar container fragile enough to shatter and eat with the dessert. Tell me about the taste.

Gotta get me a bottle of that rum.

Awesome result :) would love to taste it

I'm also curious whether the sugar container is fragile enough to shatter and eat with the dessert

About port wine... I guess that both Sandeman or Ferreira brands are easy to find abroad. Not that they're the bravest, but they're quite fair.

Edited by filipe (log)

Filipe A S

pastry student, food lover & food blogger

there's allways room for some more weight

Bravo! Beautiful job! Just what I was thinking when I came up with the challenge -- fruitcake on a plate where you don't even think "fruitcake". Just a beatiful dessert -- any preconceived notion that a fruitcake non-fan would have doesn't have a chance to pop to mind.

I, too, am interested in that sugar tower...

Funny how you mention you didn't think you did enough -- I felt the same way, especially when I look at some of the platings and complexity out there. But, the greatest part of the challenge is that there is the opportunity for each person to step out of their own box.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Alana,

So is the sugar container fragile enough to shatter and eat with the dessert.  Tell me about the taste.

This must be the question of the day because that's what I was thinking as I was reading through your description too. Was it your intention that the sugar tower be eaten, or just used as a container and the dessert be scooped out of it? In any case, I think you did a beautiful job, nice presentation.

Don't waste your time or time will waste you - Muse

Alana,

I must say absolutely Beautiful! Standing Ovation!

The presentation along with using the espuma in the sugar all comes together very well.

I am curious about the Rum, I am going to see if I can buy it here locally, sounds interesting.

I have had the same response from people concerning the “sugar container” , in particular, older diners, I still think it looks way trick, and I am inclined to not stop using it.

Michael Robert Porru :smile:

Oooooooh Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh it's beauuuutiful, so delicate looking.

Wait wait wait delicate fruitcake??!!! :laugh:

Yes it's strikingly fragile looking with the tower and the golden ring there.

I mean even though the jury is still out as to whether the tower shatters or not, it still comes off as mysteriously stunning. It could shatter so, man, that's cool!

What a great job you did.

The warm brown teardrop contrasts so effortlessly with the icey looking crystal container of white creamyness. And the rough scraggy fried panko provides playful disorder surrounded by golden sweetness.

Love it.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Gold Ring,  and a Tower?

Have you been watching or reading too much Tolkein?

Great desert btw...

dammit, the secret is out. it's not called procrastination when you're watching the entire boxed set back to back with extended versions and extra features is it?! :raz:

just kidding, didn't even cross my mind, but now that you point it out...

Yes, the sugar tower was thin enough to shatter and be eaten. Of course it is dependent on whether you live in a dry environment or not. There isn't any flavor to it, but I bet you could incorporate something (citrus salt or something like that).

I'm not huge on using too much sugar when I know it doesn't add much to the dish, but I did this more for eGullet so you could see inside the dessert. I would probably make a container out of a nice thin buttery tuile dentelle or something like that if it was for a restaurant.

Thanks everyone, this was really fun.

You can get the rum at most high end liquor stores. It is about $30USD a bottle (more or less). And trust me, you don't need much to add flavor.

I didn't really use recipes, so if anyone wants one pm me and I'll try to put them together.

Fantastic. I must admit ... I've never had fruitcake. Not much call for it around here and I've never had the desire to try one. This makes me want to try it.

I didn't really use recipes, so if anyone wants one pm me and I'll try to put them together.

Sorry - rules are that recipes must be in RecipeGullet. Consider this a PM! :laugh: (If you could put anything together for RecipeGullet we'd appreciate it.)

Great job!

Egggggggggnogggggggggggg!!!!

That's my favorite part! Absolutely splendid! I like the inclusion of the chocolate sauce. Perfect. Every element of delishiousness spoken for.

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

thanks everyone! my husband really likes the gingerbready fruitcake with the eggnog cream. i think that is what i'll be bringing along with me for thanksgiving dinner with family.

i will post the recipes, but remember, i fiddled with good recipes and doesn't mean they are better now. i will have to ask for permission to put up the original recipes, but mine are so different i should be safe posting those.

you know I have never been a fan of fruitcake, well at least the generic kind. But I tell you this, I would certainly eat that. Unfortunately though, if it were on a menu and said 'FruitCake', with a breif description I may be tempted to go another may, due to my already lacking appeal for fruitcake.

When I looked at it at first, I loved it for its clean and appetizing look. I also liked the various components. But then as I looked closer there was a downfall. I realised that the dessert was being held, and the first thing that came to my mind was acetate. I thought nobody would put a dessert out with acetate holding something together. Then I realized it had to be a glass, so for a second I was re-birthed with the concept. And then I realized that the glass would kind of be a pain to scoop out of being that small. So once again I was on the downside. Then I went to read the components and found out that it was sugar. Why I never thought of it before, but it works and works well.

nice work.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

ooooookay...

so here's the dessert -

gallery_10108_3240_117636.jpg

and another view, a bit blurry -

gallery_10108_3240_792995.jpg

The method behind the madness:

I cooked some sugar with corn syrup to hard crack stage, avoiding any color.  I poured a small amount on a silpat, warmed it up and rolled it paper thin.  I trimmed off the excess and formed it around a square shaped object to make a clear tower.  Most pros will recognize the style of Oriol Balageur (a Spanish pastry chef extraordinaire) in this.

I layered the gingerbread version of fruitcake with an eggnog cream made in an isi whipped cream canister.  The cream is made with this-

gallery_10108_3240_28917.jpg

I learned about Stroh Rum from my previous boss.  I think the story is, his mother-in-law is Eastern European and uses this in every dessert she makes.  It has a butterscotch-y aroma and as the label says...it is 80% alcohol!!!  Strong stuff.

Off to the side of the tower is the boozy fruit poundcake.  I punched it out, panko-ed it and deep fried it.  It is resting on a small bed of boozy fruit and is surrounded by a pulled sugar ring (I just used the extra sugar that I used for the tower and heated it up to give it some color so that when I pulled it, it would be golden).

The sauce is just plain old chocolate sauce.

Bravaaa Alana , sorry I didnt follow all the thread , but the dessert looks awesome, very creative very beautiful , the tower is simple gourgeus!!!

Grat work

Vanessa