• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: Boiled Peanuts in NYC

M. Lucia

I was perusing the new Lee Bros. cookbook and have a sudden craving for boiled peanuts. Once, long ago, I actually ordered raw peanuts from the Lee Bros. company, before they were famous, and made a huge vat of them. Anyway, I am wondering if there is anywhere in New York that sells them (preferably homemade)?

Buy boiled peanuts in New York? Just buy raw peanuts in the shell and make them yourself. The recipe is as follows:

"Boil peanuts in salted water until they are done."

I use a slow cooker (crock pot) but if you don't have one you can just do it on the stove top, making sure you don't them them boil dry. The cooking time will vary with how fresh and immature the peanuts are to begin with, but you needn't worry about finding particularly young peanuts, as the final product will be nice no matter what.

Can you pee in the ocean?

The store on Ninth Ave that Raji references does indeed have a great selection and crazy low prices for NYC but boiled peanuts? Highly unlikely. Although they may well have the raw ones for boiling yourself. And if you're already over there you can grab an espresso or cappuccino from Casa@CupcakeCafe - they have a funky little coffee shop right next door. Not the best espresso in Manhattan but on the right day they may be in the top five and are certainly better than anyone else on that side of town (unless things have changed since last year).

Bialis Farms sells green peanuts at the W. 97th street (btw columbus and amsterdam) greenmarket on Friday mornings. Once boiled up, these babies are addictive.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

• 2 months later...

I happened to be shopping at Dynasty supermarket in Chinatown today and found...

Boiled peanuts! Fresh!

They come in a take-out container and just say peanuts in salt water. They're slightly more firm than I'm used to but a little extra boiling took care of that, and they have a nice flavor.

Dynasty supermarket is at Elizabeth and Hester streets, the peanuts are in the refrigerator case next to the prepared food and tofus.

The store on Ninth Ave that Raji references does indeed have a great selection and crazy low prices for NYC but boiled peanuts?  Highly unlikely. Although they may well have the raw ones for boiling yourself. And if you're already over there you can grab an espresso or cappuccino from  Casa@CupcakeCafe  -  they have a funky little coffee shop right next door.  Not the best espresso in Manhattan but on the right day they may be in the top five and are certainly better than anyone else on that side of town (unless things have changed since last year).

I'll try to go and find out. They have a wall of nuts and really pack it in at that store....

Yup cupcake cafe moved into that barren espresso bar right next to the huge homeless shelter/soup kitchen, but to tell you the truth, it's the same damn super-rich cupcake as Magnolia and I'd rather hang out with the crackheads @ 41st than the people waiting on line a year after that SNL skit. Actually I was on my bicycle a week ago right in front there and this truck forced me right off the road. The crowd outside nearly started a riot!! They had memorized the license plate and started chasing the truck down. Very supportive.

I was in the West Village 2 weeks ago, unknowingly across from Magnolia, and not only was there a line down the block 9pm on a Saturday night, but some SVU pulled up to me a few blocks away and the woman in the passenger seat, all dressed up, looks like she was coming from a show, asks me impatiently "do you know how to get to Magnolia?". I asked; "The cupcake place???". "YESSSSSSSS" and she gives me the worst pursed face as I didn't IMMEDIATELY supply an answer. I promptly directed them to the Holland Tunnel. Assholes.