• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rules for infusing flavors in food?

thecuriousone

Hi All-

When does a cook choose to infuse flavor? I am defining infusion of flavor as introducing a flavor to water or oil in order to have the flavor permeate the wholedish.

In the cook books I read by professional cooks, there is always an importance in finding things to intensify flavor in things that most home cooks toss. Madeline Kamman speaks of re-using butter that things were previously sauteed in. I've read other books that speak of using water that veggies were boiled in as the base for soups.

I am makinga shepards pie using sweet potato rather than white potato. I would like to flavor the sweet potato with savory indregients and lighten them with eggs, to pipe them in a design over the meat.

If I take a cup of potato water, add chopped fresh rosemary and reduce by 1/2 to add to the pulp, will I end up with a bitter rosemary flavor? Woud I be better served just chopping the rosemary into the pulp and putting the whole thing in the oven?

Thanks, also, if there is a discussion on this topic that someone has seen on this site, can you let me know? My cooking is beginning to expand my ideas of food presentation. I am beginning to look at presentation as a cascade of nose, eyes, stomach. I critique my dishes on how each of the above sets the stage for the next. I know, its only shepards pie, but any ideas or observations would be appreciated.

I'm generally ignorant, but that doesn't stop me from speaking out.

I've seen a number of occassions over the last few years when infusions have been used. What I've noticed is that "waters" are generally allowed to sit, while oils are brought into action through heat.

For example: for his ceviches in Bangkok, Rodriguez allowed the coconut water to steep with magrood lime leaves and lemon grass overnight, and then hit the mix with the lime juice at the last moment before introducing the fish.

William Ledueil sweats lemon grass in almost everything he does, and I've used this technique to good effect.

Both of the above are basic (yet beautiful) approaches to bringing flavours together.

I think part of the question is how much do you want to concentrate? I found cognac an eye opener in this. I would've thought they'd use a more alcoholic base to get a solid drink, but they look to a weaker base, as the distillation will concentrate the flavours, and perhaps take them over the edge.

The best advice would be, obviously, to experiment. If there's no rush, try the overnight approach. And consider the medium. Is it better to work with distilled, mineral, or tap water as the base?

Have fun.

I have no ideas for you. But sweet potato shepard's pie sounds heavenly.

I think I would add a nice blast of some saigon cinnamon and a pinch of cayenne. At least that's what I'm gonna do next time I make this. :biggrin:

Sorry, I'm not an infusion guru.

Geez that sounds good. Thanks for a great idea.

Hi All-

Just a note to let you know what I did. I had blanched green beans carrots and leeks, I put those in a really hot skillet and cooked them for a few minutes, added the left over chuck roast I was using as base and poured in a 1/2 cup of red wine and my chopped the rosemary. I then put the base in the baking pan. I seasoned the potato mixtrure with a blend of romano, parmesean and thyme, and covered the base. I Popped it in the oven for 40 minutes at 390 and it was dinner. My husband says its on the money.

Stocks and broths are an infusion of flavours in water.... When you pan-roast a piece of meat in butter, put some herbs (bay leaf, thyme) on top of the meat as you baste it, the butter will transfer the flavour to the meat.

When I use water in any of my cooking I look to use a stock or a bouillon. As for infusing flavours into fats, compound butters are a good example. The key though is not to cook at too high a heat with fats (infused or not), the heat will destroy your flavours/smoke and burn...