• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help Choose an SF Gal's NYC meals

Hest88

Okay, husband and I will be in NYC for a long weekend---in and out. I want to hit one restaurant the likes of which we can't get in San Francisco. One of our meals will be at Sushi Yasuda; I'm trying to choose the other. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon is a possibility. I was also thinking WD-50 might be worth a try.

Since it's just a weekend I don't think he'll want to bring a suit and tie, so the likes of Jean Georges is out. Otherwise, just looking for an incredible dining experience, so any opinions would be most appreciated.

Not sure if you can sit in L'atelier without a jacket....WD-50 is very nice if you are in the mood for something a bit unusual. I think you can be at JGV's without a tie but you'll need a jacket. There's also Cru, if you like wine, and Gramercy Tavern, which recently has become quite good.

Ya-Roo Yang aka "Bond Girl"

The Adventures of Bond Girl

I don't ask for much, but whatever you do give me, make it of the highest quality.

You can sit at L'Atelier without a jacket.

I don't think they're serving the new menu at GT yet.

I'd also consider Perry Street.

quite honestly there is this awesome restaurant on the upper west side the consulting chef is a JG alumni. He had a mention in the NY TIMES i've been about three times ever since. The chef here seems to have the right combination of molecular gastromnomy and flavor going on. WD-50 on the other hand is all 80% molecular and 20% taste. On one of my visits I had The "hookah" tasting menu. 85$ per person 2 person minimum. pretty casual dining room doesnt feel uncomfortably stuffy but the food is crazy.

Loft is the name of the restaurant.

Edited by rickycooks@hotmail.com (log)

You can no longer get Daniel Humm's cooking in San Francisco (gloat gloat gloat gloat).

:P You just want to make me cry, huh? I still hold my last meal at Campton Place in fond memory. Sniff!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone. I'll definitely look into Perry Street and, yeah, seriously think about squeezing both WD-50 and L'Atelier...Temptations, temptations...

quite honestly there is this awesome restaurant on the upper west side the consulting chef . . . had a mention in the NY TIMES . . . .

Loft is the name of the restaurant.

About that "mention":

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/?p=90

In all fairness there was also a diner's journal proper on Loft, prior to the mention you linked. However both pieces pre-date Angelo Sosa's helming of the kitchen, so for accuracy's sake the only NYT mention of the chef in question are Yumcha related.

Edited by Sethro (log)