• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Costco Wine prices

Rail Paul

Stopped by Costco in Wayne NJ last night.

Filet mignon at 7.99, tiger prawns at 7.99 for four oz monsters.

Due Torri Pinot Grigio 1.5L 7.69

Cavit Pinot Grigio 1.5 9.99

all 750s from here on. this is about 15% of the stock

Fetzer Sundial Chard 98 6.99

Rosemount Shuiraz Estate 2001 9.49

Ravenswood Vintners Blend 8.49

Chat Ste Michelle Joh Ries Columbia Valley 01 6.99

Latour Paulliac '99 125

Pavie Bordeaux-Ste Emilion '99 105

Mouton '99 119.79

Lafite Rothschild 123

Penfolds Grange '98 189

L'Angelus '98 94

L'Angelus '99 73

Margaux 122

Ducru-Beaucaillou '99 47

Dubouef Pouilly Fuisse '00 14

Stags Leap SLV Cab '98 78

Chimney Rock Napa Stags Leap '98 35

BR Cohn Olive Hill Sonoma Cab '98 31

Simi Alex Valley Cab '98 58

Villa Antinori Chianti Classico Riserva '99 18

Penfolds Cab bin 707 '97 66

Mondavi Cab Reserve unfiltered '99 87

Dom de Chevalier Pessac-Leognan Grand Cru '98 57

Tattinger brut '92 artist matta 120

Mumm Cordon Rouge Millesime '90 45

Michel Redde Pouilly Fume '00 14.69

Moet Dom Perignon '93 100

Antinori Guada Al Tasso Bolgheri Sup '99 64

Chandon Brut 12

Moet White Star 24

Veuve Cliquot 28

Lots of hard liquor, brandies, etc.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Very good prices. I did some comparisons to what Morrell in New York charges and couldn't find an instance where Morrell charges less. Some of the above descriptions are incomplete, but where I could find matches Morrell was always more. Very difficult to compete with limited selection/high volume, unless of course what you want isn't available at Costco.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Very good prices. I did some comparisons to what Morrell in New York charges and couldn't find an instance where Morrell charges less. Some of the above descriptions are incomplete, but where I could find matches Morrell was always more. Very difficult to compete with limited selection/high volume, unless of course what you want isn't available at Costco.

i am not surprised this is the case. costco is charging just a hair above wholesale. morrell, well, they like making money. :raz:

Point well taken, FG.

I went in search of several Loire / Chinon items, and found zippo. Last time in they had quite a selection.

While I was writing out my prices, I noticed the typical buyer in the wine aisle was taking six bottles or a full case. That's typical of Gary's or Wine Library, but not my local liquor stores.

Next time I'm over there, I'll price the brandies. I suspect there would be a similar differential.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo