• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for inexpensive Brisket?

So, where can I get good beef brisket with a nice layer of fat in Seattle without paying $4-5/lb?

It seems that brisket isn't a big seller in Seattle. A lot of stores don't have it, and when they do, it is usually $4-5/lb. Sometimes, if I am lucky, I can find it for $2-3, but really even that isn't a very good price.

A few weeks ago, in preparation for a day of smoking, I headed up to the Costco in Lynnwood, because I heard they sometimes carried it. No luck. I then stopped at a Safeway, an Albertsons and a Top Foods on my way back to Seattle. Still no luck. I finally stopped at Central market, since I was pretty sure they would have it. I got a few thin peices trimmed of all fat for $5/lb.

Brisket shouldn't be lean, not when you are smoking it -- the fat helps keep it moist durring its long incarceration in the smoker. It shouldn't be that expensive either, but it was sick of searching for it.

In contrast, my father-in-law never pays more than $2/lb in Texas, and he can get nice big chunks.

Thanks in advance.

One possible source might be a grocery store in chinatown (where most everything is cheaper..or maybe they could special order it for you)..ie. Uwajimaya at the top end, and cheaper grocers like Viet Wah, etc. Brisket is a component in Pho, as well as some chinese soups, too, so you could always stop by and ask them where they get their brisket? If you find something reasonable, please let us know. Thanks!

Brisket is quite tough to find in Seattle and I've never seen it lower than $4/lb unless it's right after St. Patty's day and it's in a bag of plastic and cheap spices.

Occasionally I've seen it at the grocery stores. I've had some luck talking to the butchers at the Northgate QFC (before they turned evil) and if they had it in the back, they would've given me untrimmed brisket, whole. It's one of those things where if you just ask ahead of time, they could help you.

When I get the shakes for brisket, I head to A & J's meats in Queen Anne. They almost always have slabs that are at least 6 pounds for around $4 to $5 a pound, but it's always really good, really damn good. During the summers they smoke brisket for lunch on the weekends. Call 'em up before hand to make sure. Here's the important facts:

A & J Meats & Seafood

2401 Queen Anne Ave N Seattle WA (206)284-3885

You might also try Central Market in Shoreline, they have a magnificent meat department and I beat it goes on sale every onece in a while:

Shoreline Central Market

15505 Westminster Way N Seattle WA (206) 363-9226

But if you're looking for $2/lb or less, check out the asian grocery stores in the ID. I once saw beef short ribs for less than $2/lb but the meat was ungraded. Oh yeah, then report back here.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been getting my Brisket from Central Market in shoreline. It is on sale sometimes, but usually it is $4/lb or more.

I am going to try shopping for it in the ID.

Meat grading doesn't mean much anyway, especially with respect to brisket. The grades just identify the degree of marbelling in the meat. Brisket isn't going to be very marbeled anyway, so I am not too worried about it.

• 2 months later...

Oy vey, this thread is being shortened to "Source for inexpensive Bris" on my browser. That's not something I'd want to skimp on.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

Good news! The butcher next to Flying Fish Seafood in Pike's Market has untrimmed brisket in cryovac for only $1.99/lb. As soon as I buy one and smoke it, I'll let y'all know.

This is good news. But please, col klink, only tourists call it Pike's Market. (It is not, however, only for tourists; I just got back from buying cheese at DeLaurenti and cauliflower from one of the produce stands. Also, the Creamery is having an International Butter Tasting benefit on 12/13, $5, from 5-8 p.m. I'd go if I wasn't already occupied that day.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Really Nice! for the tip and welcome!

I bet the Cash and Carry by the Safeco and the one in Ballard might have the same price. Which I would've known that this morning! I just picked up a 16lb untrimmed whole brisket from Don and Joe's in Pike's PLACE Market (is that what a local calls it Laurie? :smile:) for $1.99lb. It's absolutely gorgeous, I can't wait to smoke it up.

• 4 weeks later...

I went to the Cash and Carry in Ballard and somehow got out of there without buying the potato french fry slicer for $175. They have some really cool stuff there! Unfortunately they don't have brisket nor a huge selection of meat there so I had to resort to Freddy's for 'que inspiration. But to give Freddy's a huge tip of the hat, they had a turducken! But it was spelled "TUR-DUC-HEN." Sure enough, it was a partially boned turkey stuffed with a boneless duck and a boneless chicken with some type of cornbread stuffing. If y'all are interested, I left it where I found it, next to the frozen turkeys. There was no price on it so I don't know how expensive it is.

• 2 months later...

Another brisket update. I dropped by the 4th Ave Cash & Carry and low and behold, whole, untrimmed brisket for $1.22/lb. If you act now, you can also get whole, untrimmed corned beef brisket for $1.42/lb.

I don't need to say this, but you're getting ripped off. Our Cash & Carry is basically a renamed California store called Smart & Final. Here are some addresses of San Fran locations:

San Francisco 355 Bayshore Blvd. (415) 642-0499

San Francisco 350 Seventh Ave. (415) 751-9951

San Francisco 170 S. Van Ness Ave (415) 864-8240

Here's a link to their Cali locations:

Click me for brisket surpeme.

I'd highly recommend Better Meat Company for all your meat needs. They seem extrememly knowledgeable about lots of cultures different butcher cuts and they're not at all hesitant to do them for you.

They're at 305 NW 82nd (sort of between ballard and phinney ridge). Their number is 783-0570.

I just called them and their price is $2.49/pound. I can attest to its goodness as I corned and cooked 6 pounds last weekend and it was delicious with a nice 3/8" layer of fat.

They really are the nicest guys I've found in the area and seem willing to order in whatever I want.

Hal

• 1 month later...

I realized i never posted my source for brisket. Good thing someone else did. Better Meats was just a block from my house all along. The price was decent (see above). Its IBP vac pac meat, but it was good and reasonable. I'll probably check cash and carry though.