• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen design

annachan

Annachan,

I live in the Bay Area (Redwood City) and am in the middle of an extensive project that includes a new kitchen (see my thread: Jambalyle's Remodel/Addition).

While our project definitely required an architect, general contractor, etc., we got a ton of kitchen ideas/suggestion/guidance from Atherton Appliance and Kitchen Design. Our architect located the kitchen in the new space and handled the details of plumbing and other structural components, but it was the kitchen design team at Atherton Appliance that really designed our kitchen.  The designers are very good, credentialed, and at least one is a contractor.  Their services are free of charge IF you buy appliances, cabinets, countertops through them.  But I believe the initial (first two?) consultations are free before asking for a commitment or deposits on appliances, cabinets, etc.

Anyway, I highly recommend them as a resource and as someone to talk to to help you decide what you want in a new kitchen.  Their showrooms in Redwood City are a fun place to browse, eat, and get ideas.  I think they may also have a sister store in the city, perhaps BCS Culinary, or something like that.

Good luck with your remodel!

Thanks, I'll go check out the place. We do have an architect and a contractor (or two) at our disposal, and will be gettng a structural engineer. The kitchen designer is what we're lacking....

Thanks, I'll go check out the place. We do have an architect and a contractor (or two) at our disposal, and will be gettng a structural engineer. The kitchen designer is what we're lacking....

If you make it down to Atherton Appliance and Kitchen, let me know how it goes. Go on a Saturday, as they usually have tasty things to sample!

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA