• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gaucho Steak

Peter Conway

Dined at Gaucho Steak last night. Loved it. Great Decor, Jorge, one of the owners,is a charming guy.

Had the scallop cerviche, calamari, and tamale appetizers. All delicious.

Also tried the skirt steak with delicious chimichurri sauce and the beef tenderloin on tomato tart and a side of creamy swiss chard.

Very nice menu witn beef, chicken, pork, fish and vegetarian dishes

The wine, a nice Malbec from Amanti.

We will be back.

Gaucho Steak Argentinian Grill

340 Bloomfield Ave.

Montclair 973.233.1520

Peter Conway

Food and Wine Guy

Mano A Vino Montclair Food and Wine Blog

Iirc, it's in the former Marc & Eric's space, across Bloomfield Ave from Sesame.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

• 1 month later...
Iirc, it's in the former Marc & Eric's space, across Bloomfield Ave from Sesame.

Went to Gaucho Steakhouse with my girlfriend tonight. Overall, we were very, very impressed. I would probably put this in my top 3 or 4 favorite montlclair restaurants, along with Blu, Indigo Smoke, and Little Saigon.

This does not appear to me to be the type of restaurant that was inventing dishes just to appeal to customers, but which really have little authenticity (think Mexicali Rose or Cuban Petes). Gaucho scores high in terms of ambiance, the quality of ingredients, and the creativity and execution of the dishes, which seemed sophisticated yet homey. IMO, this is the type of restaurant that could survive in an NYC market, and that's about the biggest compliment I could give a NJ restaurant. (As a side note, I heard the manager/owner discussing with a neighboring table that he is involved in several restaurant projects, and that he formerly owned Chimichurri Grill in nyc)

For food, we started off with several appetizers, including an empanada combo, grilled octopus appetizer, and a tamale w/ shrimp. I then had the grilled combo, which was a combination of short ribs, hangar steak, and sweetbreads. Everything we had was delicious, perfectly cooked (not overcooked or dry), large portions. We followed this up with a great dessert - some type of carmelized pancake/crepe filled with caramel sauce.

This place really was excellent, and I would not hesitate to go back or recommend it.

Edited by Cornellrob (log)

is it byo?  thx.

yes.

avoid the tasteless cauliflower.

enjoy the excellent pork shank.

I didn't love the grass fed ribeye that I had though the chimichurri sauce had a great kick. I guess I'm so used to the flavor/texture of corn feed beef or maybe it wasn't a great example of the grass fed kind that ended up on my plate.

I do agree that the service was excellent and that the chef/owner went out of his way to be nice to us. He even sent over a dish of that "tasteless cauliflower" gratis, which, btw, I didn't find tasteless.

is it byo?  thx.

yes.

avoid the tasteless cauliflower.

enjoy the excellent pork shank.

I didn't love the grass fed ribeye that I had though the chimichurri sauce had a great kick. I guess I'm so used to the flavor/texture of corn feed beef or maybe it wasn't a great example of the grass fed kind that ended up on my plate.

I do agree that the service was excellent and that the chef/owner went out of his way to be nice to us. He even sent over a dish of that "tasteless cauliflower" gratis, which, btw, I didn't find tasteless.

our server/service was very nice indeed. since i was only there once i can't really speak to this, but something gives me the idea if there were actually more than 2 tables taken, it might have gotten hairy.

i've yet to be back since that first trip. but, i will. i really enjoyed my pork shank and liked your steak, after i cut it the correct way. :raz:

c'mon with that cauliflower though. it was steamed. everyone knows you're supposed to roast it. end of discussion.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We just returned from our first dinner here. We were thrilled with our appetizers. I had the sweet corn empanada with goat cheese and my husband had ceviche. Both were really delicious. We ordered a rib eye steak and a combination of skirt steak, short rib and chorizo to share. We also ordered delicious garlic fries. The meat tasted okay but the quality was not very good at all; tough, fatty and chewy. Dessert was wonderful. We shared crepes and a chocolate enchilada. We decided if we ever go back we will eat 2 appetizers and dessert. Service, by the way, was efficient and friendly.

• 1 month later...

Guys... please help me out with a question. Does someone know if one of the owners of this place Jorge Rodriguez, the ex-owner of the Chimichurri Grill in Manhattan (Hells Kitchen)?

Does his new place have a website? Ive googled it but cant seem to locate it.

Thanks.

Alex

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar

Guys... please help me out with a question.  Does someone know if one of the owners of this place Jorge Rodriguez, the ex-owner of the Chimichurri Grill in Manhattan (Hells Kitchen)?

Does his new place have a website?  Ive googled it but cant seem to locate it.

Thanks.

Alex

Gaucho

I know that Alex Garcia of Calle Ocho in NYC is in the mix...and he's been getting a ton of press in the last couple of weeks due to the opening of the NYC Gaucho.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."