• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Church Street (Cafe)

Susan

I heard about the new chef at Church Street and decided to give it a try tonight. I have to say "WOW." My husband and I both loved our meals. We started with the pumpkin pierogies with carmelized onions - excellent. I had a wasabi pea encrusted tuna that was out of this world. My husband did not stop talking about his shortribs all the way. I only wish we were not so full and could have had dessert. I took a peek at the new lunch menu and will have to go back to try that as well. Looking forward to our next meal at Church Street. Welcome to the new chef, Barry.

Susan

I heard about the new chef at Church Street and decided to give it a try tonight.  I have to say "WOW."  My husband and I both loved our meals.  We started with the pumpkin pierogies with carmelized onions - excellent.  I had a wasabi pea encrusted tuna that was out of this world.  My husband did not stop talking about his shortribs all the way.  I only wish we were not so full and could have had dessert.  I took a peek at the new lunch menu and will have to go back to try that as well.  Looking forward to our next meal at Church Street.  Welcome to the new chef, Barry.

Please give the details...I'm not familiar with this restaurant and don't know where it is.

Nothing says I love you like a homemade salami

I'm happy to hear that the new chef at CSC is good, as I have to admit that the place has been off my radar for a long time, even though I'm in Montclair a few times a week. I just hope they can do something to bump up the service to match the kitchen.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I'm happy to hear that the new chef at CSC is good, as I have to admit that the place has been off my radar for a long time, even though I'm in Montclair a few times a week.  I just hope they can do something to bump up the service to match the kitchen.

Ditto on both fronts. I like the environment, and the owners are sweet, but my meals there ranged from mediocre to inedible, after which I swore off the place. I'm glad to hear the food is great now and I too hope they've switched around the wait staff too because boy were some of them out to lunch!

What's the price range? And does it still have a fairly casual (read: kid friendly) atmosphere?