• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measurements in Baking

First, thank you so much for participating in this eG spotlight. I have really enjoyed your thoughtful and informative posts.

I just wanted to know how you measure dry ingredients when you bake. It has become more common to use weights (and is my personal preference), but I don't see many baking and pastry cookbooks published with weight measurements. When you are testing recipes, do you weigh dry ingredients, use the dip-and-sweep method, or use the fluff-and-spoon method? I find it difficult to get consistent results unless I weigh things. What are your thoughts on this? Thanks.

While weighing is the best way to get accurate measurements, that is not the method I use because it is not yet the accepted method in most American cookbooks for the home baker. (We've discussed this on various threads and most of us are in agreement that this is a shame.)

I measure dry ingredients with the dip-and-sweep method. I fluff my flour, dip in the measuring cup, then lightly sweep it level with a straight edge.