• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good wines

Florida Jim

1998 Salomon, Grüner Veltliner Reserve:

Honeycomb, poached pear and new mown hay scents with some pretty citrus accents; viscous, mid-weight wine with flavors that follow the nose, good acidity and a touch of oxidation; medium length, crisp finish. A nice wine by itself but beside cauliflower soup with truffle oil, one of the finest pairings I have experienced. $8 on sale and worth three times the price.

1999 Clos de la Roilette (Coudert), Fleurie Cuvée Tardive:

I adore this wine. There is the wild strawberry, face powder stuff in the nose so typical of Fleurie but there’s also the smoky, old vine sap of dark fruit; there’s beautiful, deep, ripe fruit flavors but also a finesse that keeps the whole package from getting too intense, and a grip that makes the palate more simpatico with food, excellent balance and breadth; and there is fabulous, complex length. It’s not finished developing yet but it has come a long way in seven years and is about as good with mustard and bread crumb coated roasted chicken as any wine could be. A masterpiece; about $22 on release and I’d buy it again, many times over.

2005 Thévenet, Morgon:

I can’t keep my hands of this stuff; great dark fruit smells and flavors, lots of verve and depth, 13% alcohol, beautiful balance and good structure. It may last awhile in your cellar but it won’t in mine. About $23; I’d buy it again at that price.

2005 Quénard, Chignin Anne de la Biguerne:

Ah, the beauties of the jacquère grape when grown by talented and committed people in the Savoie; lightly scented with lime skin, rushing stream-water and stone aromas; mid-weight, slightly viscous with flavors that follow the nose and add some apple and grapefruit flavors, nicely balanced, 12% alcohol and a longer than expected finish with a mouthwatering bitter element. Charming wine that references crisp mountain air and bright sunshine on a cool day. Marvelous with homemade vegetable soup, corn bread and salad. About $10; I’d buy cases of it at that price (and did).

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Jim,

I don't want to appear fawning and/or sycophantic, but you are my hero.

Every one of your tasting notes are if interest to me, and I'm delighted that you are lighting up the more obscure corners of Beaujolais and Burgundy, my personal faves.

Can I ask, do you have all your tasting notes compiled in one handy book ? Do you fancy publishing it ?

Best

Stewart

Jim,

I don't want to appear fawning and/or sycophantic, but you are my hero.

Every one of your tasting notes are if interest to me, and I'm delighted that you are lighting up the more obscure corners of Beaujolais and Burgundy, my personal faves.

Can I ask, do you have all your tasting notes compiled in one handy book ?  Do you fancy publishing it ?

Best

Stewart

Thanks for the kind words.

I have all my notes on harddrive, have never organized them and have little interest in publishing them. But I love continuing the exploration and am happy to report as I go.

'Hope that will do.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com