• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

concord grapes

Bicycle Lee

:shock:

1. Pick them up very gently from the box, one bunch at a time.

2. Dip them in a large bowl of cold water, swishing them. You can also run them under cold water, as long as you keep the pressure low, but they are fragile.

3. Pluck one grape off at a time.

4. Place in mouth. Chew.

Concord grapes are around for such a short period of time and are a real treat. I'd only cook them if you have too many to eat yourself during the course of a week or share with lucky family members and friends.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I recall a recipe for juice where you put the grapes, some sugar and water in mason jars, process in a boiling water bath. When you need juice you just strain and drink.

There's a recipe for a cake with Concord grapes. It's called the Winemakers Grape Cake or something like that, I found it on the web quite a while ago. I really like it. The only thing I would suggest: remove the seeds. The recipe suggests not bothering. Bother. :rolleyes: