• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

February trip

grace3

I will be in Paris from 2/05 - 2/11, staying at the Westminster. They have some good winter promotions, and I was quite surprised with Delta's fares! A good way to break the winter!

I have been away from Paris for several years with my wanderings all over other areas of France. I find that I am really looking forward to getting back to Paris!!

I will also finally get to see Monet's Water Lilies with the Orangerie now being open. That will certainly be a must do for me.

I have been reading about all the many, many new restaurants. My list is growing with all the recent presentations. I will have to do some trimming before making final decisions. That won't be easy!

Thanks, as always for all the input..................

Grace can you give us an idea of what sort of places you are looking for?

It might be helpful if you posted a list of the restaurants you are considering and then people can chime in with feedback.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

It might be helpful if you posted a list of the restaurants you are considering and then people can chime in with feedback.

I will dine at the Celadon for my arrival night..just for the convenience...I have made a list of breakfast places for some morning variety that are in the area. For restaurants I have taken from recent lists and from good friend, Laidback ,who has just returned.

So far this is what I am looking at:

Le Comptoir

Les Papilles

La Ferrandaise

Aux Lyonnais

Maison du Jardin

Dominique Bouquet

Violon d'Ingres (always, good friends)

No biggies on my list this time...I have done many of them previously.

A mixture of the above for lunch or dinner. I am open for suggestions, additions and deletions.

Joan Grace

I will dine at the Celadon for my arrival night..just for the convenience...I have made a list of breakfast places for some morning variety that are in the area. For restaurants I have taken from recent lists and from good friend, Laidback ,who has just returned.

Le Comptoir

Les Papilles

La Ferrandaise

Aux Lyonnais

Maison du Jardin

Dominique Bouquet

A mixture of the above for lunch or dinner. I am open for suggestions, additions and deletions.

Joan Grace

That's pretty close to my list except I'd do Ze rather than Comptoir but that's me.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Le Comptoir

Les Papilles

La Ferrandaise

Aux Lyonnais

Maison du Jardin

Dominique Bouquet

Joan Grace

That's pretty close to my list except I'd do Ze rather than Comptoir but that's me.

Just what I am looking for..refine the list for the limited time that I have.

Thanks...

Le Comptoir

Les Papilles

La Ferrandaise

Aux Lyonnais

Maison du Jardin

Dominique Bouquet

Joan Grace

hmmm, I'm going to disagree with John and say if you can get in, I would do Le Comptoir. I've been twice for dinner and numerous times for lunch and loved it, however dinner reservations are, not surprisingly, hard to come by. I'd add L'Ami Jean to the list.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I Will have some decions to make...I have added Chez l'ami Jean to my list.

Anyone heard of a little restaurant, l'Argenteuil..located 9 rue d'Argenteuil? I recently read something about it...

Thanks,

Joan

The week of Oct 2nd, thus Oct 4th, Figaroscope reviewed it under its new name and Rubin gave
two hearts to Le Pre Sale, 9, rue d’Argenteuil in the 1st, 01.42.60.56.22, closed weekends, two dishes = 23.50, three for 29.50 €,with a cream of potato soup, andouille, magret and rice pudding;

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...
I will be in Paris from 2/05 - 2/11, staying at the Westminster. They have some good winter promotions, and I was quite surprised with Delta's fares! A good way to break the winter!

I have been away from Paris for several years with my wanderings all over other areas of France. I find that I am really looking forward to getting back to Paris!!

I will also finally get to see Monet's Water Lilies with the Orangerie now being open. That will certainly be a must do for me.

I have been reading about all the many, many new restaurants. My list is growing with all the recent presentations. I will have to do some trimming before making final decisions. That won't be easy!

Thanks, as always for all the input..................

My list will be having some updates as I go along. I think I will add Spring to my list after reading John Talbott's reviews today....

• 1 month later...

I do have some confirmed dining reservations from the Westminster Concierge.

My arrival evening will be at the hotel's Celadon. The others that I have are:

L'Obelisque (Crillon), Taillevent, Senderens, Dominique Bouchet and Violon d'Ingres.

I think I will be pleased...

Joan

• 2 weeks later...

I arrive in Paris on 2/5. I have made all my dining reservations. I sent my list to my hotel concieerge and let them make the reservations for me.

Just noticed my typong error..concierge...............

Even my corrections are having problems...sorry about that!!

• 1 month later...

I have just returned from 6 days in Paris. Couldn't have started better..arrived in Paris 1 hour EARLY!! TheWestminster Hotel was picking me up. Had to wait about 15 minutes for the man with the sign. He couldn't believe it was 2 hours early.

My room was ready. I unpacked a bit and went down to the Celadon for breakfast and then finished unpacking.

The hotel had a ticket for the l'Orangerie Museum for me for 1:00. A long line for those without tickets and quite cold. It was spectacular!! I had no idea that there were so many Monet panels..two huge rooms full! Breathtaking. Did some wandering around before returning to the hotel. Had an early (7:30) dining reservation at the Celadon for an early to bed night.

Went to L'Obelisque for lunch following day. I thought there might be many Americans because of the location to the embassy. I did not hear a word of English near me. I had a great lunch. A regular item lobster salad..not little pieces of lobster, but all the lobster pulled out and very larges pieces..and not in dripping butter, for these people who watch their cholesterol intake!! Nice atmosphere. I enjoyed it. I will go there for dinner when in Paris in the fall.

Taillevent for lunch....what can you say, but perfection in every way!! The Maitre d'Hotel, Phillippe Duret, took great care of me. I had Epeautre Aux Truffes, St. Jacques Meuniere, a Kir, a glass of wine, water and cafe...not the lunch special..mine was 166 euros..worth every penny of it!! I did visit with Phillip re the Michelin rumors re Taillevent losing a star and Helene Darroze gaining a 3rd. I told him that I had been to HD a number of years back when one star..did not like anything about the place..would never return. He said that he had other similar comments. Also said that they generally received some notification about 3 weeks ahead..it had been very quiet. I told him that if Taillevent lost a star, it would be Michelin that would lose credibility!! I exchanged business cards with Phillipe..he said to contact him for any reservations..that he would personally take care of me. Told him that I would be back in Oct. M. Veyrat and Phillippe saw me to my taxi.

Senderens for dinner. Strange in many ways. 8:00 reservation. Arrived in front of two white doors with a small S on each..no handles, no people. I wondered how to get in! Got closer to the doors and they opened...immediately in front of your face was what looked like a green shower curtain! I pulled it aside and spotted some people who seemed to be surprised to see me..at 8:00 in a Michelin 2 star restaurant? I did not care for the decor. I was seated better than many. I did wonder a bit about the chairs. I am not a large person and someone not much larger might not fit, or might get stuck!! My dinner: Panier de Belon, Volaille de Challans facon demi-deuil, millefeuille a la vanille de Tahiti, Badoit, Manzanilla El Rocio, Meursault Charmes, cafe...133 euros. The meal was fine. The difference between Taillevent and Senderens was like night and day. Senderens, they were scurrying. Taillevent was so smooth in every way that you were were not aware of the crowd that was there. They have everything down to perfection!! Dress code: Senderens generally men had open shirt collars and wore jackets. Some people (men and women) had jeans, but wore jackets...you don't see what is below the table..of course, there are jeans and there are jeans. Then a man walked in with tan cords and a rust colored pullover shirt. Like he had been lolling around for the day and then decided to get a bite to eat. He was not a tourist, was known by the restaurant staff..he stood out like a sore thumb..to me, at least. Often on various forums the question of the need for a man to take a jacket. What is the problem!! Wear it on the plane..they will even hang it up for you! A gentlemen wears a jacket! Are there fewer gentlemen today or does the familiarity with the restaurant make you feel you can dress down..or is it the "new" more casual decor in some of the restaurants? A 2 star restaurant should deserve more proper dress..IMO! I probably will not return to Senderens.

I cancelled the following days reservation at Dominique Bouchet, thinking it might be another Senderens experience. Probably should not say that! Instead I went to the little Pre Sale that JohnTalbott had previously previewed for me. I am glad that I did. I enjoyed a very pleasant meal. Thank you John.

I went to Violon d'Ingres on Saturday. I liked what Christian and Catherine had done in re-modeling. Had a great lunch, wine etc. for 63 euros. I chatted with Christian. Missed Catherine.

The weather was good, grey days, sunny days etc. Not aproblem. The Westminster was great. I got with Carolyn from Paris Perfect for Oct rental and also made a reservation at the Brighton for a room that looked upon all of Paris. Taking my granddaughter there in April, 2008! It is called..plan ahead!!

Guess what..my flight arrived in Atlanta an hour early..just had to wait an hour longer for my flight to Asheville!!

Great trip..will just take me afew days to be able to sleep to a decent morning hour....

Joan

Joan, thank you so very much for the report; it's always terribly helpful to others to get this sort of feedback.

The experience at Senderens does not surprise me so much, given that he said he wanted it less formal and more casual and affordable.

John

John Talbott

Can you reflect a little bit further on your meal at Violon d'Ingres?  What'd you have, what was on the menu, and how was the atmosphere

Violon has re-modeled and decorated. A much more casual atmosphere than it was. Nicely done. It is long and narrow with seating on the sides. I would say it was busy when I was there on Sat. My reservation was for 1:00. I left about 2:45 to meet with Carolyn about the Paris Perfect Apartments.

I had the menu, which was 45 euros. I had a foie gras that was very nice..and I don't know why I can't remember what else I had..sorry about that..I did have a chocolat tarte, a Kir, bottle of water, a glass of Sancerre and cafe..all for 63 euros.

There were a number of selections offerred that should please all.

Joan

Thanks for the report...

But I have to ask... how good was the food at Senderens, other than "fine"??

About wearing a jacket, I take your comment as tongue in the cheek... surely, you're not serious about wanting men to wear a jacket when they go to a restaurant (whatever the number of stars), are you?....

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Interesting observation by grace about casualness and dress code in starred restaurants.

In the past 10 years france has adopted a more casual and faster pace .This is reflected in many starred restaurants in changing to a less formal and fancy environement.i,e Senderens,le violon d'ingres , Robuchon etc.

Also fast food places such as Mcdonald have become hugely popular ,specially by the young.In many ways this is a reflection of the US influence and also lowering of living stds for the average frenchman

Senderens food...yes, it was good. The oysters were quite interesting in their serving.

Dress codes..I brought this up partially to see what others thought in the changes that we have seen.

Open collar shirts were not in the past. I think they are fine..with a jacket. Yes, I do think that a gentleman should wear a jacket in a nice restaurant. The ladies will probably be appropriately(IMO)dressed and the man should dress as well!

I do think the changes in the restaurants, the Americans etc. are changing everything. 2008 there will be no smoking in the restaurants! That will certainly please many..and many will grumble.

I wouldn't like to see a dress code completely disappear. I think people like to dress up when they go out..maybe this is more feminine! You would not want to take away the joy that women have in shopping for "something to wear" to dinner, would you??

Joan

Grace,

Why do the Americans get blamed for everything? Certainly there are many Americans who prefer a casual style. Believe it or not I'm not one of them. Nevertheless, as far as I know restaurants are at liberty to determine their own standards for dress and decorum as are those who patronize them. If one wants a restaurant where people dress up, then one should only patronize places of that sort.

It probably shouldn't disturb me but it does, that so many Americans when posting of dining in Paris or elsewhere foreign use the term "the place was full of Americans" or words to that effect in a derogatory manner. Why is that so terrible? Do we hate ourselves so much that when we see Americans in another country that it somehow becomes some sort of badge of dishonor? I just don't get it.

Porkpa

Joan,

thanks for your response.

I do agree with your points. I do think that dressing up is required when going to a nice restaurant. But I think that people should not take this too seriously either. I eat less in restaurants (starred or not) today than I used to in the past (wine is the main reason) but I did much appreciate the change in attitude towards dress code. I go to a restaurant to have a relaxed time, enjoying food and wine. While I'll dress accordingly to the formality of the restaurant, I'm open towards other dressing code.

I've been more shocked by people (customers) showing off, being loud, smoking (despite being asked to refrain from it) and giving the waiting staff attitude than someone else behaving appropriately and not wearing jacket+tie.

Re. smoking, I think this is absolutely brilliant. I have been to L'Arnsbourg on saturday night and this restaurant is non-smoking. People just left the table to have a smoke in the lounge or even outside. They did not seem bothered whatsoever and needless to say I was extremely happy not having my food spoiled by this awful smell...

Cheers

- Mike

"Je préfère le vin d'ici à l'au-delà"

Francis Blanche

Mike,

You are so right about smoking. People adapt. I remember when smoking was abolished in restaurants first in California, then in many other states and then especially in New York City. The restauranteers were up in arms. These so called draconian laws would drive them out of business.

Sure, there was a small period of adjustment. Then people accepted the new rules much as they did these same rules in the workplace. Try to get into a good restaurant in NYC, even on a weekday evening without a reservation. Its either impossible or you might have to wait a long, long time. I can't remember when with the possible exception of the high flying 80s when restaurants were so hot.

Porkpa