• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caffè della posta

sf&m

well, that's how Patrick St-Vincent characterizes his new venture next to Chesties on Bernard & Parc.

Simplified menu, simplified vine list (most vines available in both Full and Demi), one red, one white by glass.

This new addition to the Bu family opens tomorrow after some time on training wheels.

Opened in a former french bistro location with white/black tile floor and marble tables it could be a clean place to meet or linger before/after.

• 3 weeks later...
Whats the menu like

I went there last week.

The restaurant is at the old Vaudeville restaurant location, old-ish french bistrot decor, black and white floor tiles, leather banquette, classic tables, and all the standard restaurant hardware.

The menu is small, 1/2 dozen appetizers, 1/2 mains, the menu looks like it will change every week ( it was dated on the menu )

THe wine list is also small and exclusivelly italian.

We see the relation to the big sister that is BU.

Food wise, it was ok, I had some polenta with pancetta as an app. and some penne like pasta serve with pork Ragu ( that was good ) and a side dish of green salad ( a bit on the vinagtry side ).

The wine was also nice, a Luciano Sandrone barbera-d'alba 2004, it was "warm" and conforting.

Staff was ok, Patrick st-Vincent was there, serving and handling the front room.

I have no base of comparision for Italian restaurant, so I cannot say if this is good or not compared to other italian restaurants in MTL.

Whats the menu like

I went there last week.

The restaurant is at the old Vaudeville restaurant location, old-ish french bistrot decor, black and white floor tiles, leather banquette, classic tables, and all the standard restaurant hardware.

The menu is small, 1/2 dozen appetizers, 1/2 mains, the menu looks like it will change every week ( it was dated on the menu )

THe wine list is also small and exclusivelly italian.

We see the relation to the big sister that is BU.

Food wise, it was ok, I had some polenta with pancetta as an app. and some penne like pasta serve with pork Ragu ( that was good ) and a side dish of green salad ( a bit on the vinagtry side ).

The wine was also nice, a Luciano Sandrone barbera-d'alba 2004, it was "warm" and conforting.

Staff was ok, Patrick st-Vincent was there, serving and handling the front room.

I have no base of comparision for Italian restaurant, so I cannot say if this is good or not compared to other italian restaurants in MTL.

Sandrone Barbera 2004 ?? I am jealous,, how much was it? I am just a big sandrone fan... Thanks

• 2 months later...

Time for an update.

Been visiting a few times since opening and always been pleased with both wine, food and service.

Some changes:

The owners mother is now the chef.... and she is GOOD...

She is featuring a rustic Sicilian Cuisine... So far only had an excellent Spagetti al Pesto made by her, with Almonds instead of the regular (to me) pine nuts. Cooked perfectly. I also tasted one of her home made pastries. Don't remember the name, a small Cannoli like shell, but made from very tender philo with whipped cream(?) filling ever so slightly lemony. A real treat!!

The traffic on regular days is still fairly quiet but they offer Saturday and Sunday brunches and today it was practically full. Brunch: a few egg dishes - Frittata, Eggs Florentine, Benedectine and the like served with a fresh fruit melange, a small juice, minature Croissants and coffe at a reasonable price. "Standard brunch stuff" if you like but well made and enjoyable.

Cute place....

Apparently the Italian chef they had went back and they are now transitioning to Mothers Sicilian cooking.

But...Yeah, pricing is a problem.... its the old Italian resto $16 plate of spagetti syndrom.

This is a simple cute place a bit out of the way, and I think they could fill it up with young folks if the dialed down the pricing. Now we have the $8 appetizer and the $16 main (say Spagetti al Pesto).

Thats $2 more than Lemeac's post 22:00 Table for bopping in late.... And there really is no comparison to what you get at Lemeac.

If that was $7 for appetizer and $9 for the spagetti they still would have a good margin and get a lot more traffic.... They could still keep the more costly dishes with meat and fish the same.

Who knows... maybe they don't need the traffic. Seems they run BU the same way.

And I go anyway...

The brunch was more reasonable I thought... $40 for two with the works.

My dinner, two adults and two little kids, with a bottle of wine (we only wanted a half bottle, but service was so slow that we had a whole) and no dessert was $175, and the kids shared a plate of carbonara.

Service was arrogant and awful. The place is gorgeous and the concept is great so I hope the new chef can iron out the problems.