• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Snacking - What are you on?

GTO

So, we have a "Dinner" and a "Dessert" thread and now one for snacks. What's your favourite?

I've gone with an old favourite: Dry cereal, pretzels, almonds & raisins - Simple is good and I tend to go for bowls/bags of small things since they last longer and they're fun. :biggrin:

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Peppero snacks (the original chocolate one). It's gonna be Peppero Day here soon (November 11).

I also snack on crunchy persimmon slices. My version of a healthy snack.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Lately I've been baking chickpeas with raz el hamout spices... crunchy, spicy, lowfat, addictive... yummy!

“The secret of good cooking is, first, having a love of it… If you’re convinced that cooking is drudgery, you’re never going to be good at it, and you might as well warm up something frozen.”

~ James Beard

I tend to go for cruchy, sour, salty. Currently, the faves are homemade baked whole wheat pita chips (sprinkled liberally with garlic powder before baking) and pickled daikon dipped in sriracha.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

Another one for homebaked whole wheat pita chips, sprinkled with various spice combinations. Also - veggie chips, pretzels, tortilla chips, popcorn, crispy chocolate cookies, chocolate, and "Gold n Krackle" (garlic and onion) - love this stuff!

http://www.goldnkrackle.com/

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I have in my lap at this moment a large bowl of popcorn with salt, pepper, and olive oil. I just recently bought my first bag of corn kernels, and I think I'm done with microwave popcorn forever. It's so easy to do this in my wok, and not a single burned kernel or unpopped kernel. I'm only lacking salt fine enough to stick well to the popcorn, and a misting bottle for properly applying oils and liquids.

Edit: okay, I found the unpopped kernels. Not a bad ratio, though.

Edited by Restorer (log)

-- There are infinite variations on food restrictions. --

Crooked Kitchen - my food blog

Chocolat.

Items to pass over my desk today: Cemoi dark w/coffee, cashew praline and pepper, small bar of Italian gianduja with hazelnuts, small bar of Arosa milk w/raisins and hazelnuts.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

In my food-fantasy world I would snack on all forms of fresh caneberries (blackberries, raspberries, loganberries, tayberries, salmonberries and boysenberries) every day, every season. BUT that isn't going to happen so I munch my sorrows away on tortilla chips and salsa (another salty/crunchy snacker), wasabi peas, hot peppers n- cheese in soy sauce, pickles (cucumbers, cauliflower, etc.), salmon and beef jerkys, cherries and plums (when in season), a couple squares of quality bittersweet chocolate, tins of smoked or teriyaki oysters and black licorice.

eta- During the fall and winter I also snack on lots of nuts- walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, almonds. I prefer nuts in the shell for snacking as it keeps my hands busy- it's been many, many months since I quit smoking but I'll be damned if I still don't crave them. :hmmm:

Edited by petite tête de chou (log)

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Well done for quitting smoking, petite.

Nuts and liquorice (yes that's how I spell it) are two of my absolute favourites, all that's needed is for someone to make nut flavoured liquorice, or liquorice rolled in crushed nuts and I'm sorted.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

GTO Here's what wiki says about Peppero

Pepero is a cookie stick, dipped in chocolate syrup, manufactured by Lotte in Korea. Pepero is the Korean equivalent of the more well-known Japanese chocolate-covered cookie sticks, Pocky. Many Koreans claim that Pepero, which first came out in 1983, was not a copy of Pocky, which was first sold in 1966.

As of 2006 it was sold in 6 different flavors:

Strawberry-flavored

Almond Chocolate

Chocolate

Pepero 'soft'

"Woman in White" and "Man in Black" are slightly more "classy" brands of Pepero, and both have chocolate cookie bits scattered throughout the chocolate dip.

I guess it has far less version than Pocky.

For info on Peppero Day, click Here

Sheena - I will post my hubby's annual haul of peppero gifts from his students on Peppero day. He usually gets a backpack full of different size Peppero and its counterparts.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

Cool. I guess it must be quite frustrating for some Korean 'Peppero' lovers to constantly have their favourite snack labelled as the "Pocky copy".

I know that when I went to Cyprus, "Cyprian Delight" was very popular and they were quite offended when it was reffered to by it's more popular name "Turkish".

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Lately I've been baking chickpeas with raz el hamout spices... crunchy, spicy, lowfat, addictive... yummy!

Sarabeth...

I like chickpeas..in their original state. So, I am thinking I would enjoy your baked chickpeas!

PLEASE share...how do I go about doing this?

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Sarabeth...

I like chickpeas..in their original state. So, I am thinking I would enjoy your baked chickpeas!

PLEASE share...how do I go about doing this?

Me too!

Also shellfishfiend: pickled daikon dipped in sriracha - sounds

heavenly. Did you make the daikon pickle yrslef? Please share recipe?

Thanks in advance

Milagai

I am a BIG snacker....always snacking while on egullet and when watching TV.

LOVE snacking on cheese (I like to mix it up with lots of varieties...goat and sheeps milk cheeses are my personal fav's...as well as creamy, oozy cows varieties).

Love peanut butter and anything too...saltines and PB cannot be beat, in my personal opinion.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Sheena - I will post my hubby's annual haul of peppero gifts from his students on Peppero day. He usually gets a backpack full of different size Peppero and its counterparts.

why is my name mentioned in this thread? I didn't even post anything yet, I am so confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wacko: I love peppero! I scrape the chocolate off with my teeth and while doing it I try not to break the stick in half. I also like yam yams.

jeez, I just finished eating a bag of nong shim seafood ramen, raw. I was going to cook it, but I wanted something crunchy instead so I just opened the bag, dumped the seasonings in, crushed the noodles, closed the bag, and shaked it. is it shaked or shook btw? Not as good as raw shin ramen.

I am still hungry so I think I will saute some chinese water spinach and pea shoots. I have a ton of both and I need to cook some before they go bad.

like lindsay ann, I read egullet while munching and snacking

ETA: If I had it my way I would be eating a huge bag of spicy pork rinds with some grape soda. Pork rinds are the greatest thing ever

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)
BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA