• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brown Jasmine Rice

NancyH

Has anyone out there worked with Brown Jasmine Rice? I didn't even know that it existed until yesterday, when I went rice shopping at the Asian Grocery for a catering project. Does it cook like brown rice (ie - no need to rinse or soak and similar proportion of rice to cooking water) or like regular Jasmine (rinse or soak recommended and a smaller amount of cooking water)? Or something in between?

Thanks in advance for the help!

"Life is Too Short to Not Play With Your Food" 

My blog: Fun Playing With Food

I love brown jasmine rice. I've tried rinsing it and found that it really makes no difference at all in the final product. I treat it like your standard brown rice. Bring two cups of water (or stock, if you prefer) to a boil, add 1.5 cups of rice, bring back to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 45-50 minutes. Leave the lid on after cooking for about five minutes, then fluff with fork. This works for me every time. :smile:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Cool! I've seen brown basmati, but never brown jasmine--at least, so far.

Does the brown jasmine rice have the same fragrance as white jasmine? Or is its smell stronger/nuttier/different in some other way?

Edited by mizducky (log)

Cool! I've seen brown basmati, but never brown jasmine--at least, so far.

Does the brown jasmine rice have the same fragrance as white jasmine? Or is its smell stronger/nuttier/different in some other way?

I have the bag under my nose as I type. :biggrin: The brown jasmine rice doesn't have that strong, flowery fragrance. If it's toasted a bit before adding the boiling water it develops a stronger scent but it's really the texture that pleases me. Long, sort of delicate grains that remain separate when cooked. Really nice stuff. I found it at a food co-op in Portland. Of course, I just *had* to have it. :raz:

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks