• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Monkey Bread

johnjohn

Also called - Bubble, Pull Aparts, or Pluckets: yeast balls of dough coated in butter, sugar and cinnamon and when baked, pulled apart when warm and eaten. Most recipes I have found online call for refrigerated biscuit dough or use a bread machine recipe. Anybody have a good recipe or a suggestion (book, online recipe site) of where I could find a recipe that calls for making my own yeast dough. Thanks

I know monkey bread as all the left over doughs put into one pan to make one loaf of bread that can be pulled apart after baking. Many as I recall were yeast based but I don't see why you couldn't use whatever you want! I mean it is monkey bread! it is supposed to be all the leftovers....well thats my opinion....have fun and tell us how it works out and what you end up using....

-Robert

www.chocolateguild.com

I agree with Robert. Any slightly sweet dough should work well here, so pick your favorite enriched dough and go from there. You can also play with additions to the flavoring: I've added candied ginger, nutmeg, raisins, nuts, and coconut at different times to the cinnamon sugar. All tasted wonderful.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I've fabricated a foil divider and made one-half pan with the balls buttered and rolled in parmensan, and the other half in cinnamon sugar. 

Dinner and dessert at the same time!

SB  :biggrin:

you could do them in muffin tins this way. Might be easier than making a divider and you can have individual servings too!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Last weekend I made a delicious monkey bread from the recipe that came with the Williams Sonoma monkey bread mold that's currently being sold. Balls of slightly sweetened yeast dough are coated with brown sugar, cinnamon and butter and baked. Then, you make a syrup with butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and maple syrup and pour it over the baked bread.

I love this recipe from allrecipes.com. Super easy - no kneading required and it does produce very soft rolls. I add additional flour just enough so I could work with it. The dough should be very soft and rather sticky but if you coat your hands with a little oil, it should be fine. I use this recipe to make Monkey bread - both savory and sweet, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls, etc.