• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fregola Sarda

LuckyGirl

What would a typical dish be with fregola sarda?

Thanks!

Which one do you have, the store bought or home made?

If it is store bought is the bigger of finer fregola?

In Sardinia the bigger one is cooked "incasada" meaning dressed with a simple tomato sauce and grated pecorino. I have used the bigger semola to make a risotto style pasta, I usually have a vegetable base (very good with artichockes), add the fregola and keep stirring and adding stock a little at a time until it is done.

For finer fregola is typically seved in soup with telline (you could youse cockles), or in soup with chickpeas and saffron or with lentils and spinach (or swiss chards), but I would say you can add to many vegetable soups.

The handmade fregula is very fine like a basic cous cous.

I just bought a package of that. I found a recipe in my local paper for a mushroom "risotto" made with fregola sarda so I tried that but I didn't think it was very good. Franci's method sounds much better.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

You may not know that eG members have been cooking the food of a different region of Italy each month. I have a jar of leftover fregole in my cupboard as a result.

Here's the thread, linked with the first pictorial documentation of results from Kevin72. However, look further for more and see the beginning of the thread for links to web sites devoted to Sardinian cuisine.

It's standard to use them in a brothy dish of clams.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath