• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Crystallized Ginger

Carrot Top

In front of me sits a red six-sided box, filled with soft, sweet, biting crystallized ginger.

It will not be full for long, for this stuff is really good. :biggrin:

The first time I ever saw crystallized ginger was in a tin in the storeroom at a restaurant where I was pastry chef, about a hundred or maybe even two hundred years ago. Lovely stuff. I made some chocolate sponge rolls and filled them with creme chantilly and *lots* of chopped crystallized ginger then rolled them up, decorated with more cream and ginger and chocolate.

What do you make with crystallized ginger?

I always steal some when I am at the San Lorenzo market shopping for class.

It is my energizer!

for me perfect as is..

but would love it partially dipped in Chocolate... a jewel!

There's hardly ever enough of it left around here to get into recipes... but, its great chopped into strudel filling with pears, wonderful as an ingredient in gingersnaps or gingerbread, adds oomph to fruit chutneys and salsas, and I recall one Christmas making chocolate ginger bark to give to friends. :biggrin:

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

I add ginger to scones, quick breads, cookies.

However there are many other foods that benefit from ginger. I cut the crystallized ginger that I make, fairly large slices, into fine matchsticks and add to glazed carrots - I prepare them with lime marmalade instead of orange.

Carrots, squash, sweet potatoes, parsnips, all have a great affinity for ginger and their flavors are enhanced with the judicious addition of it.

Fruit salads, fruit soups.

Pumpkin soup with finely chopped candied ginger sprinkled on the top.

bread pudding, rice pudding, multigrain cereal - all improved with a bit of ginger.

Drop small pieces into tea, drink the tea and then eat the ginger.

Add to hot apple cider, hot mulled wine, etc.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I was going to say nibble w/a cup of strong tea...but dang, dls' suggestion of adding to braised short ribs has taken over my brain. Unfortunately I am undergoing a kitchen reno and "cooking" in a toaster oven and microwave. That could be my first foray back into the kitchen - want to share a basic recipe, dls?

My very dear friend, andiesenji, sent me my first and finest homemade candied ginger ... and I still have some of it to use as she suggests upthread ... what a blessing she has been!

I, like andisenji, use it in my festive glazed carrots - as well as my Rosh Hashonah tzimmes with carrots, squash, sweet potatoes ... and she's is so correct when she notes:

all have a great affinity for ginger and their flavors are enhanced with the judicious addition of it.
:wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

chopped up and added with dried fruit and toasted nuts to oatmeal

same as above but sprinkled over tempered chocolate for chocolate bark

used with dried, fresh and ginger juice to really take ginger cookies or cakes to another level

These are all such excellent ideas. I hope that I have some left when I actually do decide to start making something with it. . .I am astonished at the quality of this brand or batch - it's the best I've ever tasted. The pieces are larger rather than smaller, and the texture is with the hint of a bite from the sugar on the outside, then the inside is actually buttery. Mmm.

The idea came to mind that some easy nibbles might be made from strawberries (the organic ones actually seem to have some flavor even off-season at the moment here) - the large ones, quartered down to the stem, filled with mascarpone (almond-flavored? or vanilla? sweetened or not? will wait and see) with a small star tip, with several slivers of the ginger stuck into the mascarpone. Maybe with a tiny mint sprig.

Might try that tomorrow.

*If* there's any ginger left. :raz:

But do keep adding ideas - I'm going to go back and stock up on this brand/batch from where I got it the other day. :smile:

I add ginger to scones, quick breads, cookies.
I am lost without candied ginger for scones. It is soooo good.
used with dried, fresh and ginger juice to really take ginger cookies or cakes to another level
ditto in ginger bread.

I have not tried it in pumpkin soup yet, but sounds excellent. I am wondering about it in baked beans, I put ground ginger in mine so finely minced candied should really give them a kick eh?

when my brother was doing chemo, I supplied him with candied ginger to munch for his nausea, he ate it like candy.

Its great in biscotti, and as mentioned wonderful when nibbled with a cup of tea.

I posted my method of making candied ginger in RecipeGullet

Usually you can't use "old" or very mature ginger because it is just too tough. Steaming, as I do, tenderizes the ginger.

Also my recipe for Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger soup

It also is delicious finely minced and added to sorbet or ice cream

When you make your own, you have the delicious ginger syrup to pour over, or add to just about anything.

You can also use the syrup to candy citrus rind, which gives an interesting combination of flavors.

Recipes in RecipeGullet

Edited by tejon (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Usually you can't use "old" or very mature ginger because it is just too tough. Steaming, as I do, tenderizes the ginger.

Thank you! Andie's candied ginger is unbelievably good, for those who haven't had a chance to sample some. Well worth searching out young ginger to make some up for yourself.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Usually you can't use "old" or very mature ginger because it is just too tough.  Steaming, as I do, tenderizes the ginger.

Also my recipe for Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger soup

It also is delicious finely minced and added to sorbet or ice cream

When you make your own, you have the delicious ginger syrup to pour over, or add to just about anything.

You can also use the syrup to candy citrus rind, which gives an interesting combination of flavors.

Recipes in RecipeGullet

Do the e-Gullet gods hate me, or is the link not working?

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

DLS, we DEFINITELY need to hear how you're making those short ribs!! :cool:

Carrot Top, can you tell us what brand of ginger you bought (or where it came from)?

Thanks, all! Great ideas here...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thank you! Andie's candied ginger is unbelievably good, for those who haven't had a chance to sample some. Well worth searching out young ginger to make some up for yourself.

You don't need young ginger if you use this method. If you recall, some of the slices are very large and young ginger simply doesn't get that big. I think I brought some fresh ginger root to the party also, and some of the "hands" were quite large, and steaming tenderizes the slices.

gallery_17399_60_1103169145.jpg

Greetings from Southwest Virginia's first known Candied Ginger Junkie.

It sounds like Tim might be hooked on this stuff, too, with that ginger sugar idea of his. :raz:

I am embarrased to admit that I've eaten the whole box. No, I did not cook anything with it. :huh: All these great ideas listed above, and then I even had some more ideas - red grapefruit topped with brown sugar and candied ginger and broiled. . .chili, veggie chili with candied ginger. . . corned beef glazed in the oven with a spicy-sweet glaze redolent with chunks of candied ginger. . .I even bought strawberries and mascarpone. . .but every. single. time. I went to make something I just kept eating the stuff instead. I did not want to share it by adding it to food. :unsure:

This is dangerous stuff.

I think it might also be somewhat of an appetite suppresant, also - it *is* supposed to be calming to the tummy, but I just have not been hungry. Except for more candied ginger, of course.

Here is the brand of the stuff I got: Rose Hill Enterprises. It is from China and is in the sweetest little six-sided red box. I got it at (gasp!) TJ Maxx of all places. :shock: Yeah, I know.

Someday I intend to try many of these recipes. In the meantime, though, I am attempting withdrawl. Whew, that stuff is good. :biggrin:

P.S. Andiesenji, yet another great recipe. Interesting, but it frightens me in the state I'm in.

P.P.S. Ha! Just read the link more closely and noted that it claims ginger restores the *yang*. :laugh: Oooh boy.

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

Do the e-Gullet gods hate me, or is the link not working?

This is a direct link:

"Candied or crystallized ginger, my method" by andiesenji.

Also:

"Carrot/Sorrel/Ginger Soup" by andiesenji.

If the links don't work properly, you can go to RecipeGullet's main page and do a Recipe Title Search for "ginger" and the two recipes she mentioned should appear on the first page of the search results.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

You don't need young ginger if you use this method.  If you recall, some of the slices are very large and young ginger simply doesn't get that big.  I think I brought some fresh ginger root to the party also, and some of the "hands" were quite large, and steaming tenderizes the slices. 

You're absolutely right - some of the candied ginger was much larger than I'd expect from young ginger, yet all of it came out really well. Now I'm even more inspired to try your recipe!

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

Ginger is definitely calming to the tummy. It's fairly rare for people to not tolerate it but it happens.

However, for motion sickness, it helps many. My boss always takes a good-sized bag whenever he has to fly and ends up sharing it with other people sitting near him.

I make it in very large batches, 15 pounds or so. The batch I took to Kathy's for the Oct. '04 potluck was in a 12 quart Cambro container - about 3/4 full.

I cook it in an old electric roaster which works just like a giant crockpot.