• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Anchovies

LuckyGirl

I recently picked up a tray of white anchovies packed in vinegar and olive oil.

Other than enjoying these beauties all on there own what can I do with them?

I make roasted peppers, then top them with the white anchovies and some olives, drizzle olive oil over all very liberally.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

Grilled slices of bread topped with some aioli and anchovies is always good. They're also good on their own, with some oregano, chili flakes, salt, and pepper sprinkled on top. Mashed up in caesar salad is good. You can use them to make bagna cauda. Pasta with a quick sauce of anchovies, olive oil, chili flakes doesn't suck. Put them on top of home made pizza a minute or two before the pizza is done. I've almost always got a tray of them in the fridge. I've made them from scratch before but the store bought version had a better texture so I've been buying them since.

I've got an unused tray of these in my fridge too. Unused because the in the first tray I opened, the flavor of the anchovies seemed overwhelmed by the vinegar. With anchovies, that's saying something. Is there a trick to preparing them first?

I've got an unused tray of these in my fridge too. Unused because the in the first tray I opened, the flavor of the anchovies seemed overwhelmed by the vinegar. With anchovies, that's saying something.  Is there a trick to preparing them first?

Unfortunately very often anchovies under vinegar -store bought- are not of the best quality.

Drain the anchovies from vinegar, dry well and cover with extra vergin olive oil, some slice garlic, dry hot pepper crumbled and parsley. In one day the taste will mellow a lot.