• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Thanksgiving in France

I saw whole frozen cranberries at Picard this morning, however they were not with the other fruit but in the meat section for some reason.

Wow, Felice, this is very great news. For all these years we've schlepped over crans for the hols. I'll go looking tmrw.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 11 months later...

I just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone had any brilliant new ideas for Thanksgiving 2008 that haven't appeared in prior posts.

I'm reconsidering turkey d/t Pti's comment

I think turkey is insipid (except a well-roasted rôti the way my grandmother used to make  ). Also, I have this personal thing with huge roasting birds — they make me feel like I'm eating some kind of dinosaur. I'd probably have enjoyed the idea at age 7, but now it's a bit too late. My upper limit in size is a good capon.

I am also a bit suspicious of the common availabiility of turkey meat in France, and the relative rarity of free-range turkeys. I already loathe battery-raised chickens, so it's worse with larger birds (agh, battery-raised dinosaurs!) Sorry to be uttering my deep feelings so close to Thanksgiving.

and am torn between a gamey bird and capon-type.

John Talbott

I just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone had any brilliant new ideas for Thanksgiving 2008 that haven't appeared in prior posts.

I'm reconsidering turkey d/t Pti's comment

I think turkey is insipid (except a well-roasted rôti the way my grandmother used to make  ). Also, I have this personal thing with huge roasting birds — they make me feel like I'm eating some kind of dinosaur. I'd probably have enjoyed the idea at age 7, but now it's a bit too late. My upper limit in size is a good capon.

I am also a bit suspicious of the common availabiility of turkey meat in France, and the relative rarity of free-range turkeys. I already loathe battery-raised chickens, so it's worse with larger birds (agh, battery-raised dinosaurs!) Sorry to be uttering my deep feelings so close to Thanksgiving.

and am torn between a gamey bird and capon-type.

Can sort of understand about big birds, but I do like turkey. ORDER NOW! for Thanksgiving. I put something about this on my blog below the other day.

Also, last year I think I did a post on my way of keeping turkey moist & flavorful. The infamous 4 legged turkey. By the way I find the turkey's I get down here are all free range (I see them ranging at several farms around here.)

Capon's a good alternative. If I weren't being so traditional I'd opt for a monster standing rib roast. Usually around this time of year the Supermarkets have their pork sales. A nice big leg of pork, marinaded and baked ain't half bad.

Not brilliant, but suggestive perhaps. If I were trying to be a bit different I might be tempted to roast quail (boned) and serve them with slices of magret and alliade. GO from a big bird to a very small one.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I just wanted to report that a small turkey rotisseried by my local guy was as good if not better than I'm used to the the USA. The one strange thing was that he only had 4 orders for birds yesterday (vs 27 in 1989 when I got my first one from him) but maybe everybody's celebrating this weekend.

John Talbott

• 4 weeks later...