• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thoughts on pairing with Pork Saltimbocca

Waterzoy

I cook Pork Saltimbocca from time to time and I don't know what wine would be best to drink with this. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what would work well with the main elements of this dish....pork, parma ham, sage and madeira? Thanks.

Well, saltimbocca is a preparation known to Latium, the region of Italy that includes Rome. It's also a region not really known for their red wines, and not many truly regional reds are exported. So, that leaves other options. My preference for this dish would be a wine that is primarily sangiovese, such as Chianti Classico or Morellino di Scansano. If you want something that might be a tad lighter and fruitier, try a Lacrima di Morro d'Alba if you can find one.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

A rich white or a light red. I just don't like oaky wines with the salty/sage flavors of this dish. For a white try a Greco di Tufo from Fuedi San Gregorio or a nice fresh Valpolicella like Speri for the red.

Craig,

I've acquired a couple of bottles of a Greco di Tufo (Terre degli Angeli, Terredora 2005). Not having had one before, what can I expect and how long should I keep them. Thanks

A rich white or a light red. I just don't like oaky wines with the salty/sage flavors of this dish. For a white try a Greco di Tufo from Fuedi San Gregorio or a nice fresh Valpolicella like Speri for the red.

Craig,

I've acquired a couple of bottles of a Greco di Tufo (Terre degli Angeli, Terredora 2005). Not having had one before, what can I expect and how long should I keep them. Thanks

I would see no advantage to aging these wines and would drink them while young and fresh.