• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1999 G. Conterno Barolo

Taboni

I had the good fortune of obtaining 4 bottles of 99 G. Conterno Barolo Monfortino Riserva this past weekend. I know I am realistically looking at a 10-20 year cellaring or so, but would it be worth opening just one of them early (now!) or should I confine them to my oubliette to be revisited upon my retirement?

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Storage is pretty good (natural cellar running between 60-65 F year round, haven't checked humidity though) but may switch to climate controlled evironment in the near future.

Thanks for the advice Craig. I paid nearly 250 per and would hate to waste it.

On another note I have a few 96 Grand Puy Lacostes as well that I am thinking of tasting now. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks for the advice Craig. I paid nearly 250 per and would hate to waste it.

On another note I have a few 96 Grand Puy Lacostes as well that I am thinking of tasting now. Any thoughts on these?

I would say any wine is ready for tasting by its tenth birthday, although I don't mean to say its done maturing yet. I'd taste one and see how its going. It should be lovely.

I had the good fortune of obtaining 4 bottles of 99 G. Conterno Barolo Monfortino Riserva this past weekend. I know I am realistically looking at a 10-20 year cellaring or so, but would it be worth opening just one of them early (now!) or should I confine them to my oubliette to be revisited upon my retirement?

I tasted this wine recently.

It IMOP will not be approachable for fifteen to twenty years.

That is basically the track record for this wine which is one of the world's greatest.

I just finished my last bottle of the 1970 which is drinking beautifully!

you are lucky to have these bottles!