• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Supreme eG Pastry and Baking Challenge (Round 7)

K8memphis

Pour polenta into those corncob shaped cornbread molds, let set

& remove (this could be very difficult...)

Fry the flat part in butter, then pour maple syrup over the whole.

Plate with "whisps" of hominy or other corn coming out top like corn silk.

I love the idea of fresh corn icecream, is it seasonal? Do you care?

Pumpkin or squash or bean or yam pie could be cut into corn kernal shape easily enough. Perhaps use yellow and orange yams to make a color pattern like a kernel or like Candy corn?

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Pour polenta into those corncob shaped cornbread molds, let set

& remove (this could be very difficult...)

Fry the flat part in butter, then pour maple syrup over the whole.

Plate with "whisps" of hominy or other corn coming out top like corn silk.

I love the idea of fresh corn icecream, is it seasonal? Do you care?

Pumpkin or squash or bean or yam pie could be cut into corn kernal shape easily enough. Perhaps use yellow and orange yams to make a color pattern like a kernel or like Candy corn?

Corn is out of season, unfortunately. But, I'm going to give it a go, mostly for the sake of giving it a go, with IQF corn. I know it is not going to have the same flavor as fresh, and if it were not for the challenge, I would only make it at peak season.

Oooh, now more ideas are popping into my head, and I'm going to have to rethink my path. Oh heck, perhaps I should cook my way into oblivion with every corn idea I (or anyone here) can think of and put it together at the end :raz: !

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

[Oooh, now more ideas are popping into my head, and I'm going to have to rethink my path.  Oh heck, perhaps I should cook my way into oblivion with every corn idea I (or anyone here) can think of and put it together at the end :raz: !

Bwah haha!! The river of ideas will freaking sweep you under the current!! :laugh:

By the way, don't miss the one I gave you just above your last post :raz:

[Oooh, now more ideas are popping into my head, and I'm going to have to rethink my path.   Oh heck, perhaps I should cook my way into oblivion with every corn idea I (or anyone here) can think of and put it together at the end :raz: !

Bwah haha!! The river of ideas will freaking sweep you under the current!! :laugh:

By the way, don't miss the one I gave you just above your last post :raz:

Saw that one, and I am seriously considering going to buy one of those pans -- my husband is going to KILL me if I buy another pan. Set me afloat in that riger of idas in them and free up like 2 rooms of the house.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Yeah, I used to bake cookies in those corn on the cob shaped corn bread iron bake pans. Then I sandwiched them together with caramel and I had, (drum roll, please)

"caramel corn"

:biggrin:

Shouldnt you have completed that post with "Bwah hah hah hah hah!" ?

(Sounds yummy).

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Yeah, I used to bake cookies in those corn on the cob shaped corn bread iron bake pans. Then I sandwiched them together with caramel and I had, (drum roll, please)

"caramel corn"

:biggrin:

Shouldnt you have completed that post with "Bwah hah hah hah hah!" ?

(Sounds yummy).

:laugh:

Here's a thought for the freedom and autumn beauty. If you were using any changing leaf designs, the leaf has to die or begin dying to become even more beautiful. Like dying to your own dreams and serving country, like Civil War times or any conflict...over a half million men died in the Civil War. (When you love someone you die to self too to some degree)

The leaf could be made out of a cookie, or icing leaves thickened with cornstarch, could be an accent. I've made changing leaves out of fondant with cornstarch added. Would be a nice puller together type accent, changing leaves.

But I think like a cake decorator so don't mind me :raz:

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Here's a thought for the freedom and autumn beauty. If you were using any changing leaf designs, the leaf has to die or begin dying to become even more beautiful. Like dying to your own dreams and serving country, like Civil War times or any conflict...over a half million men died in the Civil War. (When you love someone you die to self too to some degree)

The leaf could be made out of a cookie, or icing leaves thickened with cornstarch, could be an accent. I've made changing leaves out of fondant with cornstarch added. Would be a nice puller together type accent, changing leaves.

But I think like a cake decorator so don't mind me  :raz:

Stop telling my secrets.....! :raz:

First item done -- easiest one to come up with. And, ya know, modelling chocolate is made out of chocolate and corn syrup....

Bwah haa haa -- I got in your head before you did!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Notes on Corn Ice Cream...

The intro to the recipe I used said to use sweet corn, fresh, and at the peak of season. Umm, welll, since it is November, I am obviously out of luck on that one.

At the peak of season, growing up in NJ, Silver Queen corn was an addiction. In fact I hadn't had it for years until a few summers ago. Then, eating it, I was euphoric. No other corn I've had compares. Beautiful, sweet, and white.

So, ice cream made with THAT corn would be far superior to the one I just made with IQF yellow corn. Is it bad? No. It just tastes like corn. Will I make it again in season -- yes, to see how much of a difference it will make, even though it won't be Jersey Silver Queen.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

I'm a sucker for "how sweet it is" corn. I'll have to try Silver Queen. White is the best. I have seen white in the freezer section of the grocery store. Not the same as fresh but it still beats yellow corn.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

I'm a sucker for "how sweet it is" corn. I'll have to try Silver Queen. White is the best. I have seen white in the freezer section of the grocery store. Not the same as fresh but it still beats yellow corn.

I envy those of you who live in foodie places or in areas where the grocery stores actually have a selection.

I had to drive 45 minutes, one way, to get my corn flour today. Already had the ice cream base made, so am SOL on the frozen white corn. All my grocery had was yellow.

Now I'm thinking of things to offset the overly corny flavor of the ice cream....

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Well, I don't think this has the POW impact of K8's Sweet Tea caviar, but I've completed my 5 Kernels of CORN.

In the challenge, K8 challenged me to make a dessert using 5 kernels of corn, a challenge she came up with based on a Thanksgiving story. I’ve come up with a plating of 5 desserts, each using a different form of corn, and each to represent the 5 blessings in the story.

“... the Pilgrims placed five kernels of corn beside each plate to remind them of their blessings.”

Autumn beauty – Fall leaves made from modelling chocolate. Modelling chocolate is made using chocolate (in this case white) and CORN SYRUP.

Their love for each other – A crepe made from CORN FLOUR, filled with vanilla pastry cream (CORN STARCH) and pears sauteed in brown sugar, butter, and ginger. The folding of the crepe represents the enveloping of the community – a necessity for them to survive those early years.

Their family's love – A tart made with a CORN MEAL crust which includes orange peel to complement the flavor of the cranberry walnut filling made using CORN SYRUP. Cranberry filling is the color of blood representing family.

Their friends, especially their Indian brothers – Indian pudding made from CORN MEAL, molasses and ginger, topped with candied WHOLE CORN. Obvious representation – Indian pudding.

Their freedom – Corn ice cream made with PUREED CORN and cream infused with CORN COBS. Topped with Jack Daniels (CORN WHISKEY) clear caramel sauce. Bad symbolism here. I had wanted to do a corn soup for the sailing across the ocean, but that didn’t work out because of timing. Then, I wanted the ice cream to be white enough for the sails of their ships, but because I had to use yellow corn, the ice cream is pale yellow. Oh, well.

In all, this was a lot of fun. The tart is going on my Christmas menu, and the crepes and Indian pudding were good, but not things that fall into my favorites. Corn ice cream – well, I’ll try it again with in season sweet white corn. But, for now, it tastes like frozen corn soup. Maybe I’ve found my symbolism of soup here....

And please pardon my photography -- it is not my forte...

gallery_40021_3877_21103.jpg

gallery_40021_3877_124852.jpg

The next Iron Baker Challenge will be posted shortly.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

gallery_40021_3877_21103.jpg

gallery_40021_3877_124852.jpg

The next Iron Baker Challenge will be posted shortly.....

Happy Thanksgiving!

How wonderfully autumnal. Those leaves are excellent and serve to tie the whole dessert together beautifully.

A well executed challenge!

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Awesome, Cheryl!!

No really, the only problem with all this is we need cyber tastes somehow, scratch & sniff the computer screen ain't workin'! :laugh:

The cranberry tart is beautiful. I love the symbolism especially in the crepe~genius. You blew it out of the water with autumnal beauty. I had actually seen Indian pudding made on tv this week so I was on your thought wave there.

!!!YAY!!!

Hey, too late now but can you get shoepeg corn in your area?? You can get it canned or frozen. It is very very very good corn in lieu of fresh. I could never remember the name and my husband just remembered it. It's sweet and tender and a real treat.

I hope everyone remembers the five kernels of corn and maybe consider incorporating that into your Thanksgiving meals. I like to use five candy corns by each plate. Before the meal, each person takes one corn, says what they are thankful for and we go around the table five times till all the corn is gone. Yeah, I know I know, kinda corny!!! :raz: But very cool.

[The cranberry tart is beautiful.

I agree! Beautifully done challenge, Cheryl.

Will you be putting the recipes on recipegullet? I'd love to do the Indian Pudding for Thanksgiving!

I love this cranberry tart; I have a similar recipe that I got from Epicurious. It is a huge seller, people love it.

Nice job!