• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Always something new or fallback recipes?

Dorie,

In another topic you mentioned that you bake all the time (daily?). Assuming you're not always working on a new cookbook, do you find yourself constantly trying new recipes? If not, do you have 'fallback' recipes that you make repeatedly? What might those be?

Thanks,

Pam

When I'm working on a new cookbook, I'm likely to be making new things most of the time, but when I'm just baking for the pleasure of baking, I often make old favorites or recipes that I just like to make, like to eat or like to give away.

When it's time for old favorites, it's usually time for cookies or Bundt cakes. Ever since I got the recipe for World Peace Cookies, I've made them just about weekly. I usually make a double batch, bake some, then pack a couple of logs of dough in the freezer, so I can bake them when we want them. I often make My Best Chocolate Chip Cookies and the cookies my husband really likes, Chunky Peanut Butter and Oatmeal Chocolate Chipsters. I'll also make Bundt cakes, like the Double Apple Bundt Cake or the Nutty, Chocolaty, Swirly Sour Cream Bundt Cake, eat some and freeze the rest in two-person-size pieces.

I don't know how others feel about baking -- I'd love to know -- but I find the process of baking as pleasurable as the results. When I've had a frustrating day, I'll bake "to work it through". When I'm nervous, I'll bake to relax. I find everything about baking -- from the prep and the mixing, to the baking (when the house smells so good) and the sharing -- satisfying and pleasurable, so, even when I don't need to develop recipes, and even when we don't need another dessert in the house, I bake.

I don't know how others feel about baking -- I'd love to know -- but I find the process of baking as pleasurable as the results.  When I've had a frustrating day, I'll bake "to work it through".  When I'm nervous, I'll bake to relax.  I find everything about baking -- from the prep and the mixing, to the baking (when the house smells so good) and the sharing -- satisfying and pleasurable, so, even when I don't need to develop recipes, and even when we don't need another dessert in the house, I bake.

When I'm in a good mood, I bake.

When I'm in a rotten mood or when I'm frustrated, I bake more. When I'm really frustrated, I tend to make things that need more attention or hands-on work like an apple cake or even thumbprint cookies, rather than simpler things like a batch of brownies or muffins. And when I just want to beat something up, bread dough's good.

The people my husband works with sometimes look forward to me being in a bad mood, because they're generally the benefactors of my moods.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I don't know how others feel about baking -- I'd love to know -- but I find the process of baking as pleasurable as the results.  When I've had a frustrating day, I'll bake "to work it through".  When I'm nervous, I'll bake to relax.  I find everything about baking -- from the prep and the mixing, to the baking (when the house smells so good) and the sharing -- satisfying and pleasurable, so, even when I don't need to develop recipes, and even when we don't need another dessert in the house, I bake.

I, too, often bake for the joy of the process, rather than for the result. During my big holiday baking binges, I often surprise myself by not even tasting some of the things I've made. The process has been so all-consuming and fulfilling that I feel no need to also eat, if that makes sense.

When I an feeling angry or stressed, I bake. I always bake the tried and true recipes when I am in this state; I would get more stressed if the recipe didn't turn out. There is something about the ritual of put on the apron, tying one's hair up, getting out grandma's bowl and lining up the ingredients that's soothing and meditative. When I bake I get completely lost in the process; hours could pass and it feels like minutes to me.

"A few days ago, I heard a doctor talking on television about the dangers of stress. It can kill you. It can cause a heart attack or stroke. The doctor listed many ways of coping with stress. Exercise. Diet Yoga. Talk a walk. I yelled, "Bake cookies." I often talk to the television. I yelled it again and again. The doctor went on with his list of 12 ways to reduce stress and he never once mentioned my sure-fire treatment......"

Maida Heatter

One other time that I bake. I bake when a loved one, close friend or neighbor suffers a loss, an illness or just one of lifes downs. It's my way of saying, "I'm thinking of you." All in all, I look for excuses to bake.

One thing I'd like to thank you for in your new book. The insert with ideas to change the recipe. Its made me start to think about how I can also change some of my old recipes.