• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carmelized Ice Cream

skidude72

For thanksgiving one idea i had was to pair a pumpkin chiffon pie with a caramelized maple ice cream. my idea... as of now.. is to freeze the maple ice cream with dry-ice and dip it into molten sugar and then quickly place it back into the freezer before it melts. Current issues... obtaining food grade dry ice. does anybody have any ideas on another way to do this or where to get dry-ice...

Thanks

Tyler

Regardless of how cold you get the ice cream, you *know* you cannot dip it into molten sugar that is deep enough to coat it without an explosive reaction.

We are talking at least 4 inch depth of sugar that is over 300 degrees.

Sounds like a very bad Idea.

I would consult Torreblanca's book and research isomalt.

Are you trying to get IC in a cramel shell like an egg ?

Edited by Vadouvan (log)

why don't you do what they do at robuchon and similar places? you can blow sugar balloons (hollow sugar balls) and put the ice cream in them.

i don't think there is another way to do this without the shell being too thick to be edible (without losing teeth).

IOW, you want a brulee like crust on your ice-cream is that correct? It seems to me an alternative way would be to first make a caramel and then cool it in thin sheets and put it in a blender/food processor to process to a reasonably fine powder. Then, coat the outside of the ice-cream with the caramel powder and run a blowtorch over it to briefly melt and reform the crust. If you need a thicker crust, roll, melt and then roll again while the ball is still warm, then chill in the freezer and melt it again once the ice-cream has had a chance to cool and repeat as many times as neccesary until you've reached your desired thickness.

The other idea that comes to mind is to mak your ice-cream in regular shapes such as cylinders and then to cool caramel on sheets until it is malleable and workable and manually construct the outer shell.

This is all a lot of work though, if you just want the carmel flavour, just sub ordinary white sugar for caramel in the ice-cream base.

PS: I am a guy.

hmmm... i did this one a smaller scale with vanilla ice cream into molten sugar (310 degrees) with no bad reaction and it tasted pretty good... the problem was the ice cream melted within a minute of being dipped. id love to try to blow a sugar "balloon" but i have no idea how too. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tyler

P.S. yes im going for a creme brulee type crust

Edited by skidude72 (log)

For thanksgiving one idea i had was to pair a pumpkin chiffon pie with a caramelized maple ice cream. my idea... as of now.. is to freeze the maple ice cream with dry-ice and dip it into molten sugar and then quickly place it back into the freezer before it melts. Current issues... obtaining food grade dry ice. does anybody have any ideas on another way to do this or where to get dry-ice...

Thanks

Tyler

idea: use liquid nitrogen... :smile: (welding supply stores, see all the necessary precautions)

Dry ice can be obtained from ice cream stores (Baskin Robbins?) and maybe butchers.

regarding food safe: just don't have your ice cream come in contact with the dry ice. Freeze scoops of your ice cream solid in your freezer, pop those scoops in a plastic bag and then bury the bag in dry ice.

Regarding the molten sugar step your reference... why not just do the caramelizing creme brulee style? Dust the top of your frozen hard ice cream with sugar and blow torch.

Or, make spikes or threads of hard crack sugar to then adorn your ice cream.

I once used dry ice to freeze my liquid ice cream base... it made this neat texture in that the bubbles aerated and froze the ice cream at the same time. The resulting ice cream looks just like bread!

gallery_36048_3856_2579.jpg

flavor floozy

My fear in using a creme brulee torch is that subjecting the ice cream to 500 plus degree heat would melt it very quickly and it would take me to long to do each scoop, while the dipping into molten sugar is fast and i might be able to keep the ice cream frozen. another idea I'm having is to caramelize sugar on the back of a taple spoon and place it on top of the ice cream scoop. but if i can make it work the shell still seems like the coolest option.

I'm not sure this is the effect you're looking for, but you could take something along the lines of a mini bundt pan, drizzling a caramel syrup over it to form a cage and set it aside. Fill the bundt pan with ice cream and freeze well.

Before serving, heat the bundt pan slightly, pop out the ice cream and place the caramel cage on top.

Another idea would be a caramel cage...

drizzle hard-crack caramel over a round shape (balloon or round silicone mold or a greased bowl), in a lattice formation... make a caramel ice cream with a fairly dark caramel base, and place overturned caramel cages over the ice cream.

It's a little deconstructed, but it requires nothing more than average sugar work.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

you could use adria's croquant technique.........

just place a piece of croquant over the ice cream and heat it with a blow torch, the croquant will take on the shape of the ice cream...

also dani garcia has caramelized ice cream in his book....

he uses gellan to form a shell, although it doesn't get crispy

Actually I'm doing both. I'm using thanks giving as the applied piece of my senior project which has to do withy scince trends in food (ie molecular gastronomy) im doing six dishes, one oif which hot ice cream which i havent come up ith something to pair it with yet. but i want to caremlize cold ice cream to play with texture more and for more "shock" value. my current idea is to make scoops of maple ice cream and put themback into the freezer, then right befor ei carmelize them put them into a ziplock bag and cover with dry ice to "superfreeze" them so they will remain frozen after being subjected to molten sugar.

Edited by skidude72 (log)

Ummm... I dont think its possible to "caramelize" either hot ice cream or old fashioned ice cream. The dipping into sugar sounds cool give it a try. btw you asked where you can get dry ice... Baskin Robbins. You have to 18... haha because with dry ice you can make fun stuff. Like a bomb(just makes a loud noise) out of dry ice, hot water, and a 2 liter bottle. So if your caramelized ice cream fails you can always fall back on pissing off the neighbors. Good Luck.

Visit the TestKitchen

Edited by Rocklobster (log)

Great... 18... when i called a welding shop about liquid nitrogen i was like im 17 and they hung up on me... o well ill get my mom to get me some althoughj i have no idea where the nearestbaskin robbins is...

P.S im loving the elipse

Great... 18... when i called a welding shop about liquid nitrogen i was like im 17 and they hung up on me...

Psst . . . hey buddy, meet me behind the welding shop with your money, and I'll help you score some liquid nitrogen. . .

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Actually I'm doing both. I'm using thanks giving as the applied piece of my senior project which has to do withy scince trends in food (ie molecular gastronomy) im doing six dishes, one oif which hot ice cream which i havent come up ith something to pair it with yet. but i want to caremlize cold ice cream to play with texture more and for more "shock" value. my current idea is to make scoops of maple ice cream and put themback into the freezer, then right befor ei carmelize them put them into a ziplock bag and cover with dry ice to "superfreeze" them so they will remain frozen after being subjected to molten sugar.

I'll be suprised if this works well -- hopefully only a small layer underneath will melt, but I can't imagine that you wont get a fair amount of melting. I do think that method will work much better than the blowtorch method. :biggrin:

If you had some hemisphere fleximolds, you could make little half-sphere shaped caramel "caps" which you could press onto the top of the scoops right before service.

Either way, please let us know how it works out!

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

another idea, are there any stabilizers i could use that would keep the ice cream cold to give me more time to refreeze the ice cream before it melts completly. also i'm thinking of doing a cylinder shape and rolling the ice-cream across molten sugar which has been poured onto a silpat this way i will have a thinner layer of sugar and hopefully the ice cream wont get as hot and melt (too much).