• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Inane Marketing Slogans

Fay Jai

I think it is Healthy Choice that has this as their tagline....

"We're adding Flavor to Taste"

WTF???

What does that mean?

~Jason

"So, do you want me to compromise your meal for you?" - Waitress at Andy's Diner, Dec 4th, 2004.

The Fat Boy Guzzle --- 1/2 oz each Jack Daniels, Wild Turkey, Southern Comfort, Absolut Citron over ice in a pint glass, squeeze 1/2 a lemon and top with 7-up...Credit to the Bar Manager at the LA Cafe in Hong Kong who created it for me on my hire. Thanks, Byron. Hope you are well!

http://bloatitup.com

I think it is Healthy Choice that has this as their tagline....

WTF???

What does that mean?

~Jason

Probably something similar to the slogan MacDonalds uses for its Lenten fast-appropropriate menu in Greece (MacSarakosti - MacLent): "The Custom that Became Tradition."

????

Whatever...

"Los Angeles is the only city in the world where there are two separate lines at holy communion. One line is for the regular body of Christ. One line is for the fat-free body of Christ. Our Lady of Malibu Beach serves a great free-range body of Christ over angel-hair pasta."

-Lea de Laria

Yes, it does sound redundant. Healthy Choice's website explains further, "Salt to Taste? We Prefer Adding Flavor to Taste."

Googling the phrase "flavor to taste" finds a slew of recipes that use the phrase as a synonym for "season to taste," usually with seasonings other than salt.

Voila! A new catchphrase.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

It's aggravating, isn't it, when words are used as symbols by marketers to supposedly incite our base urges to own or to even "be" the thing that's held within the meaning of the words.

"Flavor" brings to mind bright images of sparkling sauces, maybe even with "ethnic" overtones which bodes well for food.

"Taste" hints at the idea that whomever purchases this product is rather "high-class", with an innate knowledge of what is fine and not available to the huddled masses but only available to those in the know.

All for a frozen diet food, huh?

:biggrin:

Amazing what one can buy for just over a dollar. :wink:

I seen the commercial for the first time the other day and remember being baffled by the ridiculous slogan also.

Really though... Nothing to me tops the fairly recent commercial for Quiznos Subs.

The one where if your not 100% satisfied with your sub they will give you another one free. :blink: Why in the hell would I want another one if I didn't care for the first? :wink:

Robert R

Add flavor to taste ...

I suppose if your tongue is divided into regions for each taste element ... this is what you get when you have a forked tongue!!!

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

And to think...  they actually pay people good money to do this for a living !

554 views already on the "largest internet food discussion forum" and growing. give those marketers a raise. :biggrin:

i just wish i were as effective. maybe i'd make more money.

It's too bad this topic isn't titled "Healthy Choice: Adding Flavor to Taste -- WTF?" so that the brand and slogan show up high in search results. :raz: (maybe the mods can help ;) )

Safeway supermarket's slogan has been bothering me for a while:

"Not just ingredients for cooking, ingredients for life"

Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a grocery store I am usually looking for food items, that I will cook.

Compared to a lot of other stores, Safeway doesn't even offer a very good selection of prepared foods or non-food convenience items. So this slogan is just pure marketing fluff.

Pamela Fanstill aka "PamelaF"

They ran a TV ad for this the other morning and I had flashbacks of Captain Kangaroo and Bozo the Clown combined: Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity.

Then I got kind of confused when they added on "Super Deal! Star Power!"

Didn't know whether I was supposed to be thinking of children's TV show hosts from the 1960's, Wal-Mart or Paris Hilton.

I guess the idea must be: Whatever your nonsensical dream is, you can find it in an IHOP pancake platter.

:huh:

Edited by Carrot Top (log)

"Everything you always wanted in a beer. And less." Miller Lite

Silly.

Also, I've never liked "Pork: The other white meat." I guess that I'm supposed to think of chicken. Then perhaps I'll think how "healthy" and low-fat chicken is and transfer those happy-healthy thoughts to pork. Silly.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

"Mountain Grown: The Richest Kind."  WTF -- mountain grown coffee is the ONLY kind!

A college chum of mine wrote a song about Mrs. Olson; here's one stanza:

This is my Folger's Coffee

And oh, I love it so

It's grown up on the mountain

Where nothing else will grow

:laugh:

We had a lot of fun with [non-food-related] the whole kansei engineering and fahrvergnugen (sp?) thing a decade or so ago. "Hmm, let's see, should I place the lamp over here where I want to read or on the opposite side of the room?" The modern-day equivalent being Guinness' Brilliant! campaign.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

This may straddle the line between a marketing slogan & a TV commercial script, but - you know those irritating Yoplait girls? The ones that are always spooning Yoplait into their mouths and spewing one inanity after another, always ending in "...good"? (As in, "driving off a cliff together good.")

Their latest outing has them at a spa, in white terry robes, slurping Chocolate Mousse Yoplait & carrying on about high heels dipped in chocolate. OK getting a little kinky there. Then one of them says, "...dating a MASSEUSE good," a particularly odd choice of words since a MASSEUR happens to be walking by at the time.

I'm wondering whether this is simple stupidity on the part of the ad script writer, or a deliberate attempt to introduce a prurient subtext because they're getting really desperate to prop up Yoplait sales. Either way, it's a solid entry in the inanity stakes.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

[snippity snip snip]

I'm wondering whether this is simple stupidity on the part of the ad script writer, or a deliberate attempt to introduce a prurient subtext because they're  getting really desperate to prop up Yoplait sales.  Either way, it's a solid entry in the inanity stakes.

Agree. It's right up there with "I ate all the Fruzen Gladje."

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

This is my Folger's Coffee

And oh, I love it so

It's grown up on the mountain

Where nothing else will grow

:laugh:

:laugh::laugh: There was a naughty parody about Mrs. Olsen in a boy-magazine, and my roommate was in charge of PR for P&G back then. Egad, what a mess. And yeah, it was funny.

"Good to the last drop" was Maxwell house. Okay, what else would it be? I wonder if they'd admit it that one should quit f*cking drinking this stuff before you reach the end of the cup!

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

There have been some mixed reviews of Sara Lee's recent "Happy, happy! Joy, joy!" (think Ren and Stimpy) advertising campaign named "Joy of Food".

The first time I saw the ad, it took me a second or two to place the Ren and Stimpy song... inane? We'll see.

Sitting on the fence between gourmet and gourmand, I am probably leaning to the right...

Lyle P.

Redwood City, CA

There have been some mixed reviews of Sara Lee's recent "Happy, happy! Joy, joy!" (think Ren and Stimpy) advertising campaign named "Joy of Food".

The first time I saw the ad, it took me a second or two to place the Ren and Stimpy song...  inane?  We'll see.

I had forgotten what that commercial was for-- all I could think of was Ren and Stimpy! And how about the All-Clad pitch at the beginning of some cooking shows---"...All-Clad----is a state of mind." huh? I love All-Clad pans, but just what the heck is that supposed to mean??

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

This may straddle the line between a marketing slogan & a TV commercial script, but - you know those irritating Yoplait girls?  The  ones that are always spooning Yoplait into their mouths and spewing one inanity after another, always ending in "...good"?  (As in, "driving off a cliff together good.")

My old roommate and I used to watch these commercials and just go "huh?"......so it's funny to see that they have brought them back!

We'd sit there imitating them........ "killing the paperboy and burying him under the porch good"....... "mmm hmmmmm peeing on the carpet and blaming the dog good!".

Yeah, that never gets old.

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011