• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Office Holiday Lunch - Bala Cynwyd Area

johnb102

I am looking for a restaurant to host a luncheon for our office holiday party in December or January. It will be on a weekday, probably Friday. We are located in Bala Cynwyd but could travel a short distance. Some ideas were Zesty's in Manayunk, La Collina, Water Works, or Savona. We can spend about $40 per person with no alchohol included. We should have between 60 and 90 people. Any suggestions?

Hate to sound like a one-trick pony for Narberth-Bala-Merion Station restaurant recommendations but give John Mimms a shot at Carmine's Creole Cafe. He does corporatate events and since he isn't open for lunch you may get the restaurant for yourselves. It's worth a call and if it works, let us know. Maybe a bunch of us will incorporate and have lunch too. :cool:

Jim (soon to be CFO)

Edited by marinade (log)

Jim Tarantino

Marinades, Rubs, Brines, Cures, & Glazes

Ten Speed Press

Unless my memory fails me I don't think that Carmine's can hold as many as sixty diners. He may have another place to cater lunch. The food is very good.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

Unless my memory fails me I don't think that Carmine's can hold as many as sixty diners. He may have another place to cater lunch. The food is very good.

You are correct. I checked there as a possible location for our last lunch and it was too small.

In the past we have gone to Evviva and Al Dar, but want a change.

Don't know how far you want to travel, but if you stay in the Bala-Narberth area, you have two good Japanese restaurants -- Ginza and Fuji Mountain.

I'd travel a bit further (Berwyn, up Route 30/Lancaster Ave about 20 minutes) and go to Nectar ... fabulous lunch.

Another alternate (St. David's/Radnor) is the new Fleming's Steakhouse.

You could also always go across the river to Manyunk ... a new place, just opened, is Marco Tarantino's Trattoria (partnered with Alberto's from Newtown Square) -- we tried it last week with Albertson's Cooking School and the food was awesome.

ETA: marinade has just posted Carmine's is moving, so you may want to check whether January will be possible -- he'll have more space, but may be going through the "just moved in blues" ...

Regards,

JasonZ

Edited by JasonZ (log)

JasonZ

Philadelphia, PA, USA and Sandwich, Kent, UK

Another alternate (St. David's/Radnor) is the new Fleming's Steakhouse.

You can call 610-688-WINE and ask for Gina, our Private Dining Director. She would let you know if that's possible.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol