• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Name that pastry!

butterfern

I recently travelled to Spain and enjoyed a treat that I've never seen in the U.S. It was a very large, very thin, crispy pastry, sprinkled with sugar and sometimes drizzled with chocolate. It was oval in shape and about 12" by 4". It was pretty common in Barcelona, but I never found out the name. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

I recently travelled to Spain and enjoyed a treat that I've never seen in the U.S. It was a very large, very thin, crispy pastry, sprinkled with sugar and sometimes drizzled with chocolate. It was oval in shape and about 12" by 4". It was pretty common in Barcelona, but I never found out the name. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

i believe it is called coca and i used to have them with a pine nut topping. i have also seen them with olives or made with candied fruit for sant joan's day.

i believe it is called coca and i used to have them with a pine nut topping. i have also seen them with olives or made with candied fruit for sant joan's day.

i forgot to mention that it is a catalan specialty and will not be found outswide of catalonia

I believe the crispy, thin, sugary kind is called coca de vidre (glass coca). The savoury cocas tend to be thicker and breadier, if that's a word. The coca de sant joan is also thicker.

ETA: A google image search for "coca de vidre" produces some results so you can check.

Edited by su-lin (log)

This sounds like a cousin to the French arlette, or the filipino otap, both of which are smaller like cookies. They are made similarly to palmiers (elephant ears), but after slicing they get one more flattening roll before baking.