• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

seeking info on south LA outdoor mud ovens

HungryC

I'm searching for info or contacts relating to outdoor "beehive" mud ovens in South Louisiana...seeking info in print, or (even better) if you know anyone who has one lingering out behind the garage, or if anyone out there knows-someone-who-knows-someone who can still construct such an oven. TIA.

Yes, I am referring to exactly those ovens...typically elevated, made of mud over a lightweight shaping frame. LSU's archives include some information gathered/compiled by Fred Kniffen from the first half of the 20th century, and use of the ovens survived into the second half (as best I can tell) as a sort of "quaint" or occasional practice. I'm trying to track down any contemporary survival, either of the ovens as artifacts or of the skills to build the ovens and/or the skills to bake bread in them.

Vermilionville, which is a Cajun/Creole folk life village in Lafayette, has one (and maybe a smaller, second one) on display. I know someone there must know how to make them, because they have to rebuild it every couple of years, because that's just what you have to do with bousillage, whether it's used in a chimney, as insulation, or an outdoor oven.

I hope that helps. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I'm pretty sure it's only used for display right now. They've lost a lot of tourism business since the hurricanes, and don't have as many craftspeople on-site as they used to. I think things will be looking up by spring.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.