• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Our Italy Trip

little ms foodie

TallDrinkOfWater and I travelled around northern Italy for a few weeks in Sept. Here is a bit about our trip! Our stops were Cinque Terre, Florence, Emilia Romagna, Venice and a day in London on the way home.

We started off in Milan, mainly because the flights in were well timed for us. Didn't do much as we were just there for the night before heading to Cinque Terre. Our friend from Paris met us and we went out for some nice aperitivos and snacks before dinner. Had dinner at Cantina della Vetra which was very good- gnocco fritto became one of my favorite things!

IMG_1322.jpg

The next day we were off to Montorosso! These towns are stunning!

IMG_1436.jpg

Some other friends from Geneva, Oxford and Vancouver met us here so we had a nice little apartment for 5 days. Every morning we would go down the street to the Foccaciaria where you could order multiple slices of different foccacia and pay by the gram. Brilliant!

IMG_1455.jpg

IMG_1454.jpg

This is also the region for pesto which we ate daily!! And of course lots of fresh fish.

One restaurant had a house specialty that was basically a seafood risotto with a crust on it

IMG_1340.jpg

(edited to add restaurant name)

Edited by little ms foodie (log)

After Cinque Terre we headed to Florence. We had a rental car so we stopped in Pisa (and had some pizza!)

Obviously we ate gelato every day, it's was Dayne's personal goal- you gotta have goals!

IMG_1512.jpg

The first night in Florence we went to a restaurant that was owned by a friend of our hotel manager. Here we found out that wedding anniversary was misunderstood by our hotel as honeymoon! We wondered why we had gotten such a nice room with a balcony! The owner of the restaurant was told it was our honeymoon also so she was very nice is suggesting the best food for our dinner. We started off with a nice mixed antipasta platter- there was fried squash blossoms, frittata, salumi, cous cous salad, etc

IMG_1538.jpg

Then an amazing steak florentine all nicely carved up for 2

IMG_1540.jpg

and a nice digestif of limencello (how cute is this glass??) on the house of course!

IMG_1543.jpg

The next day we found I Fratellini!! This was the best lunch. Literally a hole in the wall down a small street, for a couple of euro you got your pick of panino and a glass of wine

IMG_1552.jpg

grab a place on the sidewalk and enjoy! I think Dayne enjoyed 2 of these

IMG_1554.jpg

Then when you're finished you put your glass up on these little shelves!!

IMG_1555.jpg

dessert was had on Ponte Vecchio

IMG_1556.jpg

thanks Franci!

Dinner that night at Quattro Leoni started with these beautiful figs and salumi plate

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

TRUFFLES!!!

IMG_1598.jpg

This lamb "stew" was to die for!

IMG_1599.jpg

and a little veal scallopine

IMG_1600.jpg

and a nice digestif of limencello (how cute is this glass??) on the house of course!

IMG_1543.jpg

We encountered this frequently in Florence as well and were charmed by it--the complimentary limoncello or grappa at the end of the meal.

Please do tell some of your favorite gelato flavors that you found on the trip...

(I sure hope you got to Carabe on Via Ricasoli (north of the Duomo) for gelato. I've mentioned this previously, but we made a daily trip there once we discovered it.)

Also, it would be great to know some of the restaurant names if you can recall or recorded them.

Thank you for sharing your trip with us; exquisite photos so far!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Thanks ludja, I found a few restaurant names and added them! I have to find my notes for more.

We spent an entire day driving around Chianti. It was glorious!!! We tasted wines at Fontodi and more at enotecas like this one

IMG_1622.jpg

The harvest hadn't begun yet so there were vines heavy with grapes! the scenery was so beautiful with all the little towns and castels!

IMG_1624.jpg

We stopped in Badia Coltibuono for lunch at the thousand year old abbey!

IMG_1626.jpg

Pork meat cooked as tuna, “zolfini” white beans and

red onion

IMG_1627.jpg

Ricotta cheese dumplings with pumpkin and rosemary velouté

IMG_1628.jpg

large noodles with wild boar

IMG_1629.jpg

Obviously we ate gelato every day, it's was Dayne's personal goal- you gotta have goals!

You've got to have something to strive for in life; otherwise, why bother getting up in the morning? :wink: Dayne has his prioties straight. :biggrin:

This is an excellent report, Wendy...cannot wait to see more!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Made it to Sienna for an afternoon snack- Campari and gelato!

IMG_1665.jpg

we tried lots of flavors but I think I am just a sucker for pistacio and Dayne liked the chocolate chip stuff (Stracciatella???) but my second favorite was crema!

IMG_1664.jpg

drive back to Florence

IMG_1670.jpg

Dinner that night at Buca Lapi which is one of the oldest restaurants in Florence. After all that driving we needed cocktails!

IMG_1673.jpg

Cocktails were always a bit of a surprise , you never knew for sure what you would get and Dayne taught many hotel staff how to make martini cocktails (if you just ask for martini you will just vermouth)

Our view of the kitchen from our table- now that is some serious steak! they would chop off large T's and throw them right on the grill. That beef never saw the refrigerator!

IMG_1677.jpg

we were a little nervous about this place as there were americans sitting all around us but the food ended up being very good!

IMG_1684.jpg

cannelloni gratinati alla Buca Lapi (pasta canapés stuffed with ricotta and spinach served in a cream sauce of boar and mushrooms)

IMG_1679.jpg

il cinghiale con polenta

IMG_1682.jpg

can't remember the name but it was veal with roasted shallots in a kick ass sauce!

IMG_1681.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

Biscotti and vin santo

IMG_1683.jpg

and then they sent out grappa on the house, I think it was like a prize because we were the last people in the restaurant! But we tend to do that.....

Oh my gosh, this is a wonderful way to be transported before I head to bed. You got me with the figs, the truffle pasta, the lamb stew, the wild boar pasta, and you two are such a beautiful couple. That photo from your drive back to Firenze made my heart skip a beat! I can't stop swooning over that romantic landscape. It's been years since I've been, but I think I'd better get me over to Italy soon...

Kevin, great eye- it is Vernazza!! I just picked my favorite picture of the villages, we did stay in Monterosso but hiked all 5 villages. ok, that isn't exactly the truth- Dayne and 3 of our friends hiked all 5. My girlfriend and I stopped after we hit Corniglia and the 330 something steps to get up to it. We took the bus and had lunch with everyone on the top- then took the train back to Montorosso!

IMG_1416.jpg

Shaya, Megan and Ling those are very kind words - thank you! Shaya I was just thinking what an injustice the photos are to the actualy senery of Tuscany so I'm glad you can see how gorgeous the views are. We wanted to pull over every 5 minutes and take a picture it was just lush and beautiful!

Wendy, did you get the Campari and gelato in Siena at the Bar Il Palio? I do believe that was my favorite bar during my stays in Siena in 1991 and 1994 as a student (I subsequently returned for a short visit in 1998). I loved their macedonia di frutta con gelato!

What great food and lovely scenery you experienced! But then, I can empathize. :smile:

Michael aka "Pan"

everything looks gorgeous and you must have been the cutest tourist couple in Italy! :smile:

I think this dish:

Pork meat cooked as tuna, “zolfini” white beans and

red onion

IMG_1627.jpg

is the pork coddled in olive oil with Tuscan white beans from Paula Wolfert's Slow Meditteranean Cooking.. in case you want to recreate it at home!

is the pork coddled in olive oil with Tuscan white beans from Paula Wolfert's Slow Meditteranean Cooking.. in case you want to recreate it at home!

I don't know Paula Wolfert recipe. In Italian this dish is called "Tonno del Chianti".

From what I read here

I don't think is impossible but a little impractical dish to make at home. It is prepared in July using suckling pigs. I'm just roughly translating: the pigs are cut spinkled with coarse salt and let to rest in the refrigerator fro 3-4 days. Then after rinsing from salt boiled in white wine for about 8 hours with bay leaves. Let to cool in its own broth and then packed in jars and covered with oil and more bay leaves.

Wendy, I was hoping you'd report news of your three weeks in Italy. What riches we have this week with your great photographs and Divina's food blog. (I now understand the nickname TallDrinkofWater, too.) I want the figs and the cinghiale with polenta.

If there are any more hole-in-the-wall enoteche or restaurants you really loved for particular reasons, I hope you'll leave a note or two in the pinned threads at the top of this forum since there are so many queries for up-to-date information from eG members planning trips.

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Looks like you had an absolutey wonderful time! We've encountered that martini/vermouth thing too...it always catches me by surprise. You'd think I'd have figured it out by now, but I'm not the martini drinker in the family.

The other bad news about the zolfini beans is that there is no other bean like it. Honestly. I'd love to get Rancho Gordo's take on it...he's the bean maestro. It is the tastiest bean I've ever encountered.

Apparently, the only solution is to come back!! (and visit Umbria, of course!) :cool::laugh::biggrin:

I'm not sure of the name of the place we were at in Sienna, I don't have it written down!

on our way out of Florence we drove up to Fiesole for really beautiful views of the city. We had a casual lunch right in the main plaza

IMG_1686.jpg

IMG_1687.jpg

I just remember this cute older french couple sitting next to us and they had no idea what to order or if it was ok to share. I like to eavesdrop in languages that I'm pretty bad at! :wink: so using my best bad french I discussed my pizza with them.

Then we were off to Modena, Bologna and Parma!!!