• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Upper West Side/Columbus Circle

liamdc

Do any eGulleteers have some recommendations for a restaurant in the Upper West Side/Columbus Circle neighborhood that would be good for a business dinner next Sunday or Monday evening? I'm thinking of a chef-owned bistro type of place, something middle-to-high end is OK, just nothing too lavish or extravagant. Also willing to consider good ethnic options as well.

I am staying at the Lucerne Hotel at 201 West 79th Street. Anywhere walkable or a short cab or subway ride would be welcomed. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic

Not much in UWS proper, Columbus Circle and extending east and west much better -

The Modern, db Bistro, Bar Americain, and the restaurants in the TWC

Of course I'd go to Sugiyama 55th and 8th - that's a chef-owned bistro, sorta :-)

There's a Megu in Trump Plaza, that place is very good for business dinners

Ouest is very close to your hotel (84th and Broadway), and definitely fits the chef-owned, bistro-ish model you mention. The red booths give it a clubby feel, and also make it easier to have a reasonable conversation in the bustling dining room.

If you're interested in it, I'd make the reservation soon...they book up quickly on weekend nights.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

I live in the neighborhood and would also recommend Telepan. You can check out their website and menus at http://www.telepan-ny.com/

If that's too pricey or posh for your purposes, there's a good owner/chef operated French restaurant called La Boite en Bois just around the corner on 68th and Columbus. Their website is http://www.laboitenyc.com/

It's not in the same league as Telepan, but offers good value with good service at a lower price point. (I'm guessing Telepan will set you back $75 or more per person with a drink, and La Boite en Bois is more in the $40-50 range).

If you need more recommendations, let us know.

Edited by Felonius (log)

While La Boite en Bois is far from a NYC dining hot spot, it's actually not that bad and very centrally located while still possessing a quaint vibe. I went there when I was like 15 or 16 as one of my first solo NYC meals without the 'rents. They were absolutely charming to the g/f and I, so I have nothing but praise for the place.

I was just about to start a thread to ask about the same area. We are coming in from Philly for a concert that will be at Lincoln Center and we are staying at the Excelsior on the upper west side. Any suggestions for a nice casual dinner (any cuisine as long as it is good)?

I've just had two very delicious dinners (a week apart) at Nice Matin. The place is beautiful, the food is interesting and delicious, and the people are extremely nice.

It's also just a few steps away, so you could always go in and check it out.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

COMPASS!!!208 W 70th between Broadway and West End Avenue. Accept no substitutes! See also the Compass thread. You will not be disappointed.

Food, glorious food!

“Eat! Eat! May you be destroyed if you don’t eat! What sin have I committed that God should punish me with you! Eat! What will become of you if you don’t eat! Imp of darkness, may you sink 10 fathoms into the earth if you don’t eat! Eat!” (A. Kazin)

I've just had two very delicious dinners (a week apart) at Nice Matin.  The place is beautiful, the food is interesting and delicious, and the people are extremely nice.

We have eaten there and we were thinking about going back, both for the convenience of the location and for the very good food. We have no Nicoise restaurants in Philly as far as I know. I'm not sure if you were answering my question or the op's. That place would be good for a business dinner with respect to ambience and food, but I remember the noise level being a little loud.

I've just had two very delicious dinners (a week apart) at Nice Matin.  The place is beautiful, the food is interesting and delicious, and the people are extremely nice.

We have eaten there and we were thinking about going back, both for the convenience of the location and for the very good food. We have no Nicoise restaurants in Philly as far as I know. I'm not sure if you were answering my question or the op's. That place would be good for a business dinner with respect to ambience and food, but I remember the noise level being a little loud.

I was answering the op. I didn't notice it being particularly loud - in fact, the second time we went it was with some out of town friends with whom we wanted to catch up, so we specifically didn't go to my favorite restaurant, Lupa, because of the deafening decibel level there.

For what it's worth, we drive in from New Jersey and eat at Nice Matin before opera performances at Lincoln Center - the time that we arrive for dinner is just when on-street parking becomes legal, and we stroll down Broadway and enjoy the savings from not having to use the Lincoln Center garage when the weather is nice.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

I would agree with most of the recommendations here.

I would add:

Shun Lee West

and a favorite:

Gabriels on 60th Street across from the TW Center.

This is a stylish and very good Northern Italian that draws a

lot of high powered folks from broadcasting etc service is

warm and friendly and the food is very good often superb.

also

Picholine is excellent (I have not been since the recent renovation)

and

Cafe Des Artistes is one of the most beautiful restaurants in NY with

superb service. The food tends toward French Bistro/Brasserie and is good

(if not spectacular)

Thanks for all the recommendations. I'll let you know where I end up going and will report back.

Liam

Eat it, eat it

If it's gettin' cold, reheat it

Have a big dinner, have a light snack

If you don't like it, you can't send it back

Just eat it -- Weird Al Yankovic