• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pizza stone from the hardware store

Alberts

Sorry if this is a basic question...but

I'd rather not buy an overpriced, too small pizza stone from a kitchen store. Could someone tell me which material, stone, porcelain tile etc. would make the best stone. I'm hoping to buy something to fit my oven more accurately.

Thanks

Sorry if this is a basic question...but

I'd rather not buy an overpriced, too small pizza stone from a kitchen store. Could someone tell me which material, stone, porcelain tile etc. would make the best stone. I'm hoping to buy something to fit my oven more accurately.

Thanks

On an Italian cooking forum I partecipate, people have recommanded "monocottura tiles" or "gres porcellanato" tiles. I didn't buy for a simple reason, before using for baking I would prefer to cook the tiles in a very high oven (on leave on the fireplace overnight), since I didn't have the opportunity I ended up buying a baking stone.

Edit to add that:

I have been told that for pizza the thickness of the tile should not be more than 1.5 cm otherwise the bottom will not cook properly.

Edited by Franci (log)

Hi,

You can go to your local brickyard and purchase firebricks to line your oven. These are available in full size (about 4" X 8" X 2" at about $1.50 each) or in splits (about 4" X 8" X 1" at about $0.90 each). Placing the bricks in a large sheet pan will allow you to create an almost level surface for your pizza. The total cost would be less than $20.

Placing splits on edge along the sides allows you to replicate the $180 Hearthstone. You can even add a $15 grill thermometer.

Tim