• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ron Zacapa

jadenegro

My husband has been given a bottle of rum and we are searching for advice on how best to drink it. We aren't big drinkers and in the rum arena have previously used white Bacardi to make mojitos. That's it!

The label is "Ron Zacapa Centenario", 23 years, made in Guatemala. "Mezcla de rones anejos de las mieles virgenes de la cana de azucar." The color resembles strongly brewed tea. Are we supposed to enjoy this straight or what? I have no idea how to serve it and would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

You and your husband are very fortunate to receive such a wonderful gift. I think most members on this forum would agree that this rum is best enjoyed when its own distinctiveness is allowed to come through. Drinking it neat, with a splash of water, or with an ice cube would probably be the best ways. Keep in mind an ice cube cooling the rum will detract a little from the experience.

However, the paramount rule is to drink it how you like it, no matter what other people say. My opinion is merely a suggestion.

Edited by jlo mein (log)

Thank you for your advice! If I could just sum up what you are saying, we can break this out after dinner and drink it room temperature (as you would drink an aperitif before dinner)?

I really appreciate your help. My husband is from Guatemala which is why he was given a bottle. I've spent my due share of time making fun of Guatemala's beer, so I wasn't sure what to expect from the rum. None of his relatives have tried the rum so we are all pretty clueless. His friend said it was award winning so I thought I would attempt some further research here. Thanks again!

This is my favorite rum. Compared to others it is rather thick, almost a bit syrup'ie if you know what I mean. The viscosity, to me, adds to it's complexity and flavor profile. That's my tastes though. Now I also know some rum drinkers who do not like it as it is somewhat unique.

I have enjoyed this rum neat, with an ice cube, just a bit cooled or chilled. Drink it however you enjoy it most, but most of all "enjoy it" fully.

Eric

• 1 month later...