• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Teaching Cookbook

Mi Patria

I highly recommend The French Laundry Cookbook. Although most think that the TFL cookbook is only for seasoned chefs, there are a ton of great things for a novice cook to learn, such as knife cuts and stock and sauce production, etc. Granted, the bulk of the recipes are geared towards more experience chefs, there are so many great recipes that even the most novice can re-create. Take a look, read it though, and go for it.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA

Welcome MP,

My first cookbook was the Betty Crocker binder-style one. Still has some good info. These days I like the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook (ISBN 193361501X). Will be given out during the holidays. ATK produces the Cook's Illustrated magazine; very, very helpful pub.

Some authors to checkout:

Mario Batali - Ingredients lists aren't overly complex, so you can hone specific skills like braising, and basic tomato and/or cream sauces. I like M's cooking philosophy.

Anthony Bourdain - especially the Les Halles Cookbook - Another stripped down "it's all about the food" type book; recipes are usually just a few steps so again, you can focus on technique.

Julia Child - Read everything! Very good for technique.

I love the ATK Family Cookbook- bought it for my daughter who is just starting out and she uses it daily.  Also love the Best Recipe Series from ATK. Very helpful and includes the science as well as the recipes.

John-Georges Vongerichten - Cooking at Home with a Four-Star Chef - Recipes were just a bit challenging (and I'm schooled). But, after a while I fell in step with the way he constructs the tastes and tones of his food.

ksoss