• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ordering a Bottle with a Tasting Menu

Macarons&Mozart

We will be having dinner at a newly-rated Michelin one-star restaurant (Chez TJ) tonight, and plan on having their 12-course tasting menu. If we were to opt for bottle-service instead of wine pairing, what would you suggest we go for? I know this is rather vague since I don't have the menu, but from what I can deduce, the cuisine is light to medium (nothing too heavy in the traditional French style), with noticeably Mediterranean and California influences.

[some of us in the party drink wine, but can't handle too much, while others can imbibe much more. Wine parings might be too much alcohol for a few in our party (esp. since I've read that Chez TJ has very generous pours). This is why we are leaning towards bottle service.]

Here are some examples of the dishes to give you an idea of the cuisine:

-Lobster salad

-Tomato and with homemade Burrata cheese

-Braised Oxtail and Foie Gras in a Crepinette of Grilled Teviso

-Oyster and foie gras lasagna

-Cold foie gras torchon w/olives and brioche

-Seared foie gras with grape jelly

-Sardines and gazpacho

-Pan-Seared Turbot with lemon and butter

-Sea urchin w/carrot foam

-Seared scallop, oyster foam

-Intermezzo: Plum sorbet

-Pork loin with a 'deconstructed' lasagna

-Spring Salad with olive oil and fines herbes

-Fromages

-Pre-dessert: Strawberry Soup

-Trio of coffee desserts

Thanks very much!

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but a slightly fruity, not-too-sweet Riesling (or some such) might come to mind. But really, one wine for all those dishes is a tough call.

More to the point, Why limit yourself to bottle service? Rather than a full flight of wines to compliment every course, ask for a few "key" pairings spread out over the tasting menu, with sparkling waters and/or fruit juices filling in the blanks. Let them know that you enjoy wine but don't want to over-do it. I bet they could accommodate your request graciously and thoughtfully - make them earn their star :smile: .

It's too late for this particular dinner, but when I've ordered one and only bottle for a tasting menu, it has been either Champagne, Alsatian Riesling, or Red Burgundy.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero