• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scalloped Bread Tube

CanadianBakin'

I purchased this scalloped bread tube and have just tried it for the first time with regular white bread dough. It didn't turn out all that well and I'm wondering if anyone has experience using these? I have 2 little girls and thought it would be fun to have flower shaped bread for "tea parties". They only include one recipe with it and it called for a 313 gram tube of breadstick dough. So I used 313 grams of homemade bread dough. It didn't give any rising instructions but you're supposed to bake it on end so I let it rise on end as well. It didn't fill the tube so I would use more dough next time but it was also very dense and just not very nice for sandwiches. My girls like it but I don't really want to have to eat it plus I'd like it to be right. Any ideas?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

I have the same tube, but I've never used it. I know you're in BC so you might not be able to find the pillsbury crusty french loaf( I went to a pampered chef party in california and thats what they used).

I just looked at the tube yesterday and thought to myself " I really should make some flower shaped bread" for a party I'm catering.

I'm anxious to hear other people's comments.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I have the same tube, but I've never used it.  I know you're in BC so you might not be able to find the pillsbury crusty french loaf( I went to a pampered chef party in california and thats what they used).

I just looked at the tube yesterday and thought to myself " I really should make some flower shaped bread" for a party I'm catering. 

I was hoping to use homemade bread dough but maybe I should start with Pillsbury. Was it a nice texture? Did it fill the pan? Did the outside brown?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Any time you compress baking bread dough the crumb will be finer and the result denser. This is what happens in a pullman pan so you get sandwich slices that have an even fine crumb from top to bottom and from side to side.

If you want a softer bread with a more open crumb, use a brioch-type dough or a challah dough that contains eggs. I have both metal "clamshell" tube pans and glass baking tubes and use either type of dough with good results.

I do not stand these on end to rise, I lay them on one side and gently turn them halfway through the rise period. I find this distributes the little bubbles more evenly throughout the bread and the dough rises and fills the chamber completely during the first few minutes in the oven.

Doesn't your form have a cap for each end? The shaped ones I have do.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Any time you compress baking bread dough the crumb will be finer and the result denser.  This is what happens in a pullman pan so you get sandwich slices that have an even fine crumb from  top to bottom and from side to side.

If you want a softer bread with a more open crumb, use a brioch-type dough or a challah dough that contains eggs.  I have both metal "clamshell" tube pans and glass baking tubes and use either type of dough with good results.

I do not stand these on end to rise, I lay them on one side and gently turn them halfway through the rise period.  I find this distributes the little bubbles more evenly throughout the bread and the dough rises and fills the chamber completely during the first few minutes in the oven. 

Doesn't your form have a cap for each end?  The shaped ones I have do.

Yes it does have a cap on both ends. Like you suggested, I was wondering if rising and baking on it's side might be more effective.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

The round tube pans I have tend to roll a bit, so I rest them in a double French bread mold and just stick the whole thing into the oven.

It also makes it easier to remove them at the same time and it keeps them from rolling off the cooling rack.

gallery_17399_60_38108.jpg

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have the same tube, but I've never used it.  I know you're in BC so you might not be able to find the pillsbury crusty french loaf( I went to a pampered chef party in california and thats what they used).

I, too, bought one of those to avoid going to a Pampered Chef party thrown by a co-worker. I've come very close to tossing it and/or putting it in the next community sale but something stops me every time (visions of cute little tea sandwiches, I guess). Maybe this will inspire me :wink:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I have a couple of those too, and I find that an enriched dough works better than a lean dough, so I second Andiesenji's recommendations for a brioche or challah type dough. The outsides of those breads have a little more 'grease' on them so they release better, and their structure is better suited for rising in an enclosed environment.

I need to get mine out and use them!

They also work well for making ice cream sandwiches. Use them as a cookie cutter on the cookie part, then fill with partially softened ice cream, refreeze, and use a can of slightly smaller diameter to push out the ice cream.

With not much time for experimenting, I went the Pillsbury route. I could only find the "crusty Italian loaf" in garlic flavour which wouldn't go well with PB&J so I tried bread sticks, flaky dinner rolls and their pizza dough. I think the bread stick dough worked best but the pizza dough was pretty good too, just slightly more dense. The flaky dinner roll dough didn't work well at all and tasted very chemical. In the future I think I'll try experimenting with homemade dough again but for the time being Pillsbury worked very well and all the kids enjoyed the sandwiches. Thanks for the suggestions.

I've only used this for quick breads, but it works well for them. I sold PC for 6 months, and used this to demonstrate the different graters to make zucchini or pumpkin bread, but I never used it to make a "regular" bread. I know that some of my customers had the same complaints - bread too dense.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

• 9 months later...

*bump*

I'm catering a wedding( just the apps/desserts) in Sept so I pulled out the heart shaped bread tube to give it a try. I'm serving a large cheese platter and I thought some heart shaped toasts would be nice. I used a tube of the Pillsbury breadstick dough that I rolled in a mixture of Italian seasoning( Garlic Plus for the Canadians) and grated parm.

I'd never use these for the assorted canapes I'm serving though. Eg member Tino is baking all the breads for those( and coming up from OH to help me).

I sliced off 2 to show, but it really needs to cool down more.

gallery_25969_665_311536.jpg

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)