• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

annachan

Gas range: Wolf? Thermador? Bluestar? Viking?

Id also switch to induction if it came w a high quality Combi-Oven

• Like 1

We struggled with the choice of gas vs induction.

Finally it was the aesthetics of cooking with fire that won.

• Like 2

I completely understand.

the BlueStar is a stunner

if they has a BS with a Combi  Id just give up and surrender.

• Like 1

As I mentioned previously, induction was out of the question for us, as the electrical requirement cannot be met.

On 9/16/2017 at 10:49 AM, Smithy said:

If you're looking at a double oven, you might consider this Samsung Flex Duo gas oven. It's expensive, but flexible in that it can be two ovens or one.  I have an older electric version of this.  What I like about it is that a partition can be added or removed to allow one to make 2 small oven compartments or a single 5.8 cu. ft. oven.  What I don't like about mine is that it has a single door, so that both oven compartments lose heat when you open the door. Samsung has solved that problem in its later models with a specially articulated door so that you can open only the top or open the entire door as one.  The handle latch seems to be foolproof. There are other pros and cons that I'll explain if anyone asks.

My best friend bought the single-chamber version of this oven earlier this year and is delighted with it so far.  The hottest burner is plenty hot for the stir-frying that they commonly do, and theirs came with a wok cradle. (The single-oven version was about $1000 less than this dual-chamber version.  I'd probably have paid the extra grand, considering the baking that I do, but to them it wasn't worth it.) They hated their previous smooth-top stove, and I haven't heard any complaints about cleaning this gas stove top.

I'm curious. I can see two ovens working for some of the things we do. Though I'm not thrilled with the burner arrangement, I never feel like I'd use that odd shaped center one. I'd rather have a slightly wider unit and 6 burners.

Posted (edited)

I was idly reading this topic a while ago and found that many people thought Blue Star was a great range.   I looked on the internet and found a dealer selling them about 3/4 mile from here. I went to look at it and another place as well.  The upshot of what they said was that it was built for COOKING. It was a restaurant stove built to be acceptable to domestic building codes.  Basically it was a tank.  It reminded me of the Garland I had in the restaurant I had all those years ago.  I also saw some more modest stoves and decided I'd actually prefer a nice pick-up truck instead of a tank.  They told me that GE was doing some really good things with ranges and a double oven appealed to me.  What cinched it was to learn that new technology had drastically brought down the cost of installing a new gas line in my house.  My glass top stove that was not all that old was acting up.  The smooth glass top always needed cleaning and the mess was always cooked on. I spent more time cleaning it than cooking with it.  The left front burner would not turn down sometimes. I never knew when I'd turn back a few minutes later and find it was cooking at top heat even though I'd turned it down.  The other front burner would not heat up very fast. I'd go back after a while thinking it was time to flip whatever was in the pan only to find it had not started cooking yet.  I ordered the stove I wanted and it was installed today.  It has a double oven with steam clean option and convection in the lower one.  The center griddle is replaceable with either a reversible cast iron one or a regular grate.  My first food to cook on it is a hamburger with the buns being toasted on the griddle.  Tomorrow I'll bake some bread in the upper oven.

edit PS In a few months I think I will have the range hood replaced with a matching over the range microwave.

unnamed-4.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 9

@Norm Matthews 

that looks outstanding

would you pass on the exact model as Id like to look it up

interesting that the top oven looks larger than the bottom

cheers

@rotuts  Here is the exact model 

GE® 30" Free-Standing Gas Double Oven Convection Range

JGB860EEJES

the window in both ovens are the same but the insides are different.

20171005_141832.jpg

• Like 6

@Norm Matthews Nice stove.  Really nice. Well played, Norm. 

You are right , Blue Star is a beast. Garland in its genes. Built like a tank and no electronics other than pilotless burners, convection and an oven light. 

• Like 2

@Norm Matthews Nice looking stove.

My DD and SIL bought a new house and went with a Samsung package. They also chose a range with the dual-oven. I need to ask my DD how they like it so far.

• Like 1

@Norm Matthews Also yay for the attached bottle opener. Mine is mounted over the recycle can.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

@Norm Matthews Also yay for the attached bottle opener. Mine is mounted over the recycle can.

I saw some new Coke bottle openers that had the cap catcher attachment recently. I plan to get one to go below mine which is an old one. 

• Like 1

Microwave was installed today. It is a little big... or too low... but not so much I can't get used to it, I hope.

20171012_141429.jpg

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Norm Matthews said:

Microwave was installed today. It is a little big... or too low... but not so much I can't get used to it, I hope.

20171012_141429.jpg

Indeed! There is not much space between the cooktop and the bottom of the microwave. If you can do without the cabinets that are currently above the microwave, you can move it up quite a bit.

11 hours ago, curls said:

Indeed! There is not much space between the cooktop and the bottom of the microwave. If you can do without the cabinets that are currently above the microwave, you can move it up quite a bit.

My brother-in-law is a contractor. I will ask him about what it will take to move it up.

@Norm Matthews 

how hard or how much work is installing a new micro above a stove ?

Ive had nothing but trouble w contractors.

my plain vanilla GE seems to no longer work on defrost.

its not the end of the world

I just do a series of 5 sec regular ' bursts '

on my micro defrost involved selecting a lower power level

@rotutsThe appliance store where I got it, delivered and installed it. It took two guys and about 45 minutes  and involved, in my case, shutting off the electricity, converting direct wiring to a double 110 outlet and installing it in the cabinet over the microwave.  Mine didn't require any venting installation.

PS. If you look up a microwave you are interested in, some sites list the installation manual so you can see what is involved in the one you like.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

It's not terribly tricky if you are reasonably "handy". 

The tricky bit is in supporting a large heavy item while you're marking screws and screwing it into place etc. without two  people to hold it. 

I put out my Range hood in myself and it was a major pain. 

• Similar Content

• By weinoo
      After living in our apartment for what is now close to 14 years, Significant Eater and I have decided to take the plunge and renovate our kitchen and bath. There will be challenges, not the least of which is that our's is a cooperative apartment building; everything (design mostly) has to be approved by management and board of directors.

We bought new appliances when I and a friend did a make-believe renovation in 2005...pix of my kitchen appear way back in the blog we did in 2011.

The amazing thing about the appliances we bought in '05 is that the dishwasher (Miele), range (Bosch) and fridge (Amana/Maytag) have never needed a single service call. So they've done their jobs well. Actually, I wouldn't mind keeping the Miele, but I realize that keeping a 12 year old dishwasher in a brand new reno is probably not the greatest idea.

Now here are the questions. I plan on going fairly high-end for appliances - like I want a pro range and believe I will be able to vent it legally to the outside via my bathroom window (at least that is what both our architect and the president of the coop told me).

What appliances are people liking these days, in terms of performance and reliability? I don't want to say price is no object, because it is. But I'd like to hear everything.

• By weinoo
      As we're moving forward with a gut kitchen renovation, and we've dialed in base cabinet sizes to fit in our NYC apartment galley kitchen, I'm wondering what sink/faucet combo people love. Or hate. Would buy again. Would never look at again. Sink cabinet will be 30" wide, no disposal.